Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Backing up to remote site, & VCC

Post by kewnev »

Hello,

We currently have 2 sites. Each site has its own Veeam backup server with Veeam Backup & Replication Standard 9.5.0.1536 for VMware, installed (& licensed).
These sites have a VPN running between them, and all on the same Windows domain.

We currently do, separately at each site, backup to onsite disk, and then backup copy to rotated portable disk. Each site has a user that rotates the portable disk.

To eliminate user handling, we'd like to take the the rotated portable disk out of the equation - so, instead, for each site the data would be copied to:
- the B&R server at the opposite site
- a Veeam Cloud Connect provider (with Insider Protection enabled)

I realise that transfers will be faster with WAN acceleration, but the price premium for this feature is quite large in cost, and incremental backups should finish in the required time window without WAN acceleration.
I will pre-seed the initial full backup.

Now, firstly, I apologise if these questions have been asked before, but I am having issues finding the answers I need - and I want to ensure that it is implemented correctly from the beginning.

My questions are:
- Broadly, what is the best way to set up the backups to the remote site? More specifically:
- Should the backups to remote site be a backup or backup copy job?
- I know you can simply point the backup to a remote server when setting up (even without B&R being installed on the remote server), but are there advantages of there already being B&R installed on the remote server?

Thanks very much.
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Re: Backing up to remote site, & VCC

Post by kewnev »

Just bumping this one..

Would really appreciate a reply, just at least to be set on the right track. If I am asking in the wrong place, do let me know.

Cheers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing up to remote site, & VCC

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Nev,
kewnev wrote:- Broadly, what is the best way to set up the backups to the remote site?
I would recommend to use backup copy jobs. This would allow you to store backup locally for faster restores and do not put any additional load to your production infrastructure when running a second backup job pass. Backup copy job will use existing backups as a source for VMs data.
kewnev wrote:- Should the backups to remote site be a backup or backup copy job?
Backup copy jobs.
kewnev wrote:- I know you can simply point the backup to a remote server when setting up (even without B&R being installed on the remote server), but are there advantages of there already being B&R installed on the remote server?
No major advantages, however please note that sharing repositories and proxies managed by different backup servers is not recommended due to these reasons > Sharing proxies/repository between different servers. If I were you I would setup a separate offsite repository for backup copy jobs only.

Hope this helps!