Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
geofftx
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Daylight Saving Time switch causes jobs to be skipped

Post by geofftx »

I had two jobs scheduled to start at 2:00AM on Sunday morning - same time as the switch to DST. Neither job ran and there was nothing in the logs about any errors or skipped jobs. Looks like B&R needs some logic to deal with this, or maybe a warning not to start jobs at 2:00AM.

Geoff
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Daylight Saving Time switch causes jobs to be skipped

Post by Vitaliy S. »

When did the switch happen, at midnight? Do you use remote or local SQL Server?
geofftx
Enthusiast

Post by geofftx »

Local SQL server.

The switch happens in the US at 2:00AM local time, so a job scheduled to run at 2:00AM when the time instantly changes to 3:00AM gets skipped. And I guess that would hold true for any job that's scheduled in the 2:00AM - %RetryTime% (30 minutes?) interval as the clock would have already moved past the retry time. So not only the 2:00AM jobs would be missed, but anything in that grace period. I suppose the easy fix is to change the start time to 1:59AM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you're correct. I guess any Windows activity would be skipped when the switch adds plus 1 hour to the current time. The workaround should do the trick. Thanks!
gabrielefachin
Service Provider
Full Name: GiEffe

[MERGED] When time change.... switch to summer time and vice

Post by gabrielefachin »

Hello everybody,
i've a question about switch to summer time and viceversa in cosideration of backup job.
We've a lot of scheduled job from 02:00 to 3:00 everyday, and others in another times.
Well, on 26th March, i check my job report and all jobs of 25th March from 02:00 to 02:59 are not running.
Why?
After few minutes and a lot of terrible scenario, an idea: maybe the question is the switch to summer time?
Yes, of course, easy.
Unfortunately it's no easy explain to my boss why there aren't backup of that machines on 25th of March.
And when switch to winter time?
A double backup of vm's?
Yes, i think: that's better of other switch time.
But, it's possible made something without remember when change time from summer and winter time, then manually change time of job's?
Bye
Gabriele
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Gabriele, just schedule the job a minute earlier, and it will not be skipped (nor executed twice).
gabrielefachin
Service Provider
Full Name: GiEffe

Post by gabrielefachin »

Hi foggy, yes of course, this resolve one job but if it's necessary execute a backup at 02:30?
And if this selection is not a my decision but, for example, a user from Enterprise manager want configure a backup at 02:15 with full backup on sunday because the load of vm's it's tiny?
:/
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

Currently the product doesn't have a logic to detect daylight saving time switch. Let's consider this a feature request.