Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DavidS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: David

RPC function call failed. RPC error:Acces is denied

Post by DavidS » 2 people like this post

Hello All

I've encoutered a strange error in Veeam B&R7 and I'd like to share the "solution" with you guys.

Error:

Code: Select all

RPC function call failed. Function name: [IsSnapshotInProgress]. Target machine: [IPv4]. RPC error: Access is denied. Code: 5
Setting:
I set up a job with Guest Processing and Application-aware image processing and the correct credentials (tested)

Solution:
The credentials were in the format "username@domain.local", after I changed it to "domain.local\username" it all worked out well.

I knew, it's stated somewhere that the format should be pre-Windows 2000, but it's not 100% obvious that it can't be username@domain

So if someone is struggling with this error, check the credentials format.

And maybe someone of the veeam team reads this and can give me a plausible reason why the newer format is not supported (or if it ever will be supported).

Greatings
David
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: RPC function call failed. RPC error:Acces is denied

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi David,

Yes, specifying user credential in this format "username@domain.local" is not supported for AAIP and indexing options. As far as I know it is caused by some incompatibility issues in the API provided by Microsoft (don't have these KBs handy).

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Though you can use credentials in UPN format (username@domain.local) for other connections within Veeam B&R, for example, to connect to vCenter Server.
dcph
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Ph

Post by dcph »

We had the same issue this week with a VM after we performed an in-place upgrade from Server 2003 R2 to Server 2008 R2. We had to disable the firewall service completely and reboot the VM, even though it showed the firewall as disabled for all 3 network profiles. This is more of an issue with the VM and not Veeam. It had been P2V'ed at some point in the past and now we performed an in-place upgrade. We really need to be migrate the application to a new VM.
benbour
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ben Bourcier

Post by benbour » 1 person likes this post

Same issue here - Cause was a Microsoft issue when doing in place Domain Controller upgrade (in my case 2012 to 2016). The netlogon service gets set to only start manually.

After changing them back to auto start, Veeam was fine...

Topic here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... verPreview
Dassy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Chambers

Post by Dassy »

My issue was that domain authorisation had dropped, adding the device back to the domain resolved this.
gregsmid
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Greg Smid

Post by gregsmid »

benbour wrote: Jul 20, 2017 1:19 pm Same issue here - Cause was a Microsoft issue when doing in place Domain Controller upgrade (in my case 2012 to 2016). The netlogon service gets set to only start manually.

After changing them back to auto start, Veeam was fine...

Topic here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... verPreview
Same issue/resolution for me, only in our case it wasn't a domain controller. Upgraded a non-DC server from 2012 R2 to 2016, Netlogon service got set to manual. After starting it (and setting to Automatic for future boots), backup job is running fine.

Greg