RPC function call failed. RPC error:Acces is denied

VMware specific discussions

RPC function call failed. RPC error:Acces is denied

Veeam Logoby DavidS » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:32 am 2 people like this post

Hello All

I've encoutered a strange error in Veeam B&R7 and I'd like to share the "solution" with you guys.

Error:
Code: Select all
RPC function call failed. Function name: [IsSnapshotInProgress]. Target machine: [IPv4]. RPC error: Access is denied. Code: 5

Setting:
I set up a job with Guest Processing and Application-aware image processing and the correct credentials (tested)

Solution:
The credentials were in the format "username@domain.local", after I changed it to "domain.local\username" it all worked out well.

I knew, it's stated somewhere that the format should be pre-Windows 2000, but it's not 100% obvious that it can't be username@domain

So if someone is struggling with this error, check the credentials format.

And maybe someone of the veeam team reads this and can give me a plausible reason why the newer format is not supported (or if it ever will be supported).

Greatings
David
DavidS
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: David

Re: RPC function call failed. RPC error:Acces is denied

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:51 am

Hi David,

Yes, specifying user credential in this format "username@domain.local" is not supported for AAIP and indexing options. As far as I know it is caused by some incompatibility issues in the API provided by Microsoft (don't have these KBs handy).

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1087 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: RPC function call failed. RPC error:Acces is denied

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 am

Though you can use credentials in UPN format (username@domain.local) for other connections within Veeam B&R, for example, to connect to vCenter Server.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere