Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
perch
Novice
Liked: never

Installing Veeam Monitor version 3

Post by perch »

We are trying to install Veeam Monitor 3 and getting an error during setup when trying to enter the SQL server name and instance. We were running Veeam Monitor 2 sucessfully connecting to a SQL 2005 server and database, we uninstalled Veeam Monitor 2 then started the install of version 3 and when prompted for the external SQL server name no matter what we try (ie: Netbios name, DNS name, workgroup/DNS etc.) it will not connect. Any help as to what syntex should be used would be helpful, Veeam Monitor is being installed on a Windows Server 2003 not part of a domain that is also running SQL 2005?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello perch, if I am not mistaken it is SERVERNAME \ INSTANCENAME format (no spaces, SERVERNAME is a NetBIOS name).
Did you supply instance name?
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Thank you for your post.

What specific error are you receiving?

You want to use the format "server\instance" for your existing SQL server, and also use the "domain\username" format for the account you're using (administrative level). You want to be sure that the SQL server account being used has admin rights in the SQL instance and local machine.

Your SQL instance might even be localhost. Pull up Services.msc, and check to see if the "SQL server(VEEAM)" service is running. You can also see your instances here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL

-Ben
rolypoly
Lurker

Post by rolypoly »

This hasn't really helped me :(
I'm trying to use a locally installed copy of SQL 2005 and it won't find the server.
This is a new installation of Veeam monitor 3.
I've tried:
<server ip>\default
<server ip>
localhost
<server name>\default
<server name>\mssql.1 (taken from the above reg key)

I don't want to use another instance of SQL Express, but want to use the full copy of SQL2005 that is already installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roland.
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

Roland, please drop a message to support@veeam.com, we'll provide you with a build that will allow you to continue installation in your configuration.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Monitor is being installed on a Windows Server 2003 not part of a domain that is also running SQL 2005?

Installing Veeam Monitor on a server which is not part of a domain is not supported at the moment.
RLAM
Novice

Post by RLAM »

Same problem here, only both servers (app and sql) are in the same domain. However the setup could not contact/find the SQL Server.

Are there any known problems when using Veeam Monitor 3 on remote SQL servers?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

RLAM, no, there are no known problems except the one I mention above (not part of the domain).
Can you ping this server from console? Could it be firewall issue?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

RLAM, please also check the following logs for any errors
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Veeam\Veeam Monitor for VMware Infrastructure 3
Log file names are dbutil*.log
RLAM
Novice

Post by RLAM »

Originally posted by Gostev

RLAM, please also check the following logs for any errors
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Veeam\Veeam Monitor for VMware Infrastructure 3
Log file names are dbutil*.log

Thanks for you fast reply.

Yes I can confirm that the servers can see each other. Because on one of the application servers Virtual Center is running, so connection to the SQL server is working fine for this app.

We don't use any firewall on this network it's just for testing purpose.

I have checked the log file however this is not very helpful

12/26/08 15:43:05 00001660 0x0000067C "Unable to connect to db, code - -2147467259"
TGB
Lurker

Post by TGB »

Even with the latest version (3.0.2) of Veeam Monitor 3 we have the same problem over here. Whatever we enter in the SQL server / instance and in the user authentication, it doesn't work. Both servers are in the same domain and we are using even a domain administrator for the connection. Nothing works. Both servers can see eachother. The server on which we would like to install Veeam Monitor, we also have installed the SQL Native Client, just to see if it is possible to make a connection and then we are successfull.
We even have tried it to other SQL Servers, but within the installation of Veeam Monitor also not successfull (still successfull in the SQL Native Client).

What is the problem when trying to use an external SQL Server 2005 with Veeam Monitor? Could you help us out
RLAM
Novice

Post by RLAM »

Yes, have done the same steps as TGB did, however still no success.
zilch321
Novice

Post by zilch321 »

I'm wondering how much success people are having with installing the Free monitor application on existing SQL or SQL Express instances. This topic has over 600 views.

I myself have been unable to get it to work. I have an existing and well running SQL server connected to a domain (no idea why thats a requirement) and the installer refuses to work with my database. After plugging in the connection information the application pauses for several seconds and then returns an "unable to connect to remove database" error.
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

Gentlemen,

Could you please send an email to support@veeam.com with a short description of the error and logs to open a support case? It is hard to investigate the issue based on information presented here so we have to deal these cases one by one. We'll update this topic as we find the solution.

Thanks in advance!
RLAM
Novice

Post by RLAM »

Just dropped you an email with more details about the problem, hoping that this will help you to fixed the problem
kstrebel
Lurker

Post by kstrebel »

Just a 'mee-too'.

I try to install veeam-Monitor 3.0.2 (free) on my Vista64 WS running SQL 2005 (64bit).
The User-Accout i gave is my domain-user ( local admin with SQL-Server admin rights couldn't login, DBUtil in a runas-Shell with that account worked though :-( ).
I tried 'KST-LAP\MSSQL.1' which is %COMPUTERNAME% and Instance-Id and 'KST-LAP\MSSQLSERVER' which is default instance-name.

DBUtilTest.log says: 01/15/09 09:41:39 00001900 0x0000076C "Unable to connect to db, code - -2147467259"

Firewall is down, TCP/IP enabled and used by several other apps.
I'll send this also to support.

Ciao
Klaus
luptona
Novice
Full Name: Andrew Lupton

Re: Installing Veeam Monitor version 3

Post by luptona »

I get the same error installing 3.0.2 (unable to connect to remote database) using the correct SQL server credentials. There are 5 other databases on this existing SQL 2005 server working fine. The SQL Server (VEEAM) service is running and shows in the registry as VEEAM - MSSQL.4. Not sure how that relates yet as the install won't get past setting up the software... I'm running the install on the console of the server that is running MSSQL 2005.

Any recent updates/suggestions on how to get this working?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I believe that most common reason is either SQL server or Monitor server not being a part of domain. There were other reasons too, but since last post was a few month ago, I don't remember already. So it would be best if you open a case with our support.

Stanislav et al., can you please post the list of issues in this thread which were previously causing problems with connecting to a remote SQL.
Hammer
Lurker
Full Name: Christer Hammarström

Post by Hammer »

"Installing Veeam Monitor on a server which is not part of a domain is not supported at the moment."....

Well, howcome thats NOT in the prereqs for monitor (system requirements) ? That made me buy 6 cpu licenses for nothing....

I have an Netware environment with 3 Esx-servers in a cluster on the side and a single Win2003R2 sp2 32b server as Virtual Center server. The SQL for that vc resides on a separate single 2003 server and i´m trying to install Monitor on the VC itself with a sql-express locally.

I cant find ANYTHING in your documentation for Veeam Monitor that states it has to be an AD..

So, do i send evrything back and get a refund for the licenses or what?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Christer, if you are installing Monitor with local SQL esxpress (default option), then everything should work fine. The issue only appears when using remote SQL. Do you have any problems with local SQL express installation?
Hammer
Lurker
Full Name: Christer Hammarström

Post by Hammer »

Sorry, i will clearify things for you. The Virtualcenter-server is a standalone server. It connects with 3 Esx 3.5.0 Update 3 servers in a cluster. The Sql-database for the Virtualcenter-server resides in a MS-Sql Cluster in its own domain (that is a MS prereq for sql-clusters as you know).
I´m trying to install Veeam monitor locally on the Virtualcenter-server with the option for sql express 2005, adn to have the monitor database locally at the virtualcenter server...

In the log it says:

"05/11/09 13:44:45 Inform 0x00000348 "Collecting thread starts, hostID: #1 (esx-vc01.mgmt.borlange.se)."
05/11/09 13:44:45 Inform 0x00000348 "Connecting to DB mon at ESX-VC01\VEEAM. Local host is ESX-VC01."
05/11/09 13:44:45 Inform 0x00000348 "Connecting to host #1 (esx-vc01.mgmt.borlange.se)"
05/11/09 13:44:46 Inform 0x000010D4 "Detect Alarm: 0.016
"
05/11/09 13:44:48 Error 0x00000348 "Connect failed for host #1 (esx-vc01.mgmt.borlange.se)"
05/11/09 13:44:48 Error 0x00000348 "Unknown error 0x80131500 (Code: 0x80131500, Source: PerfHelper, Description: Permission to perform this operation was denied.)"
05/11/09 13:44:48 Warning 0x00000348 "Collecting thread will exit, hostID: #1 (esx-vc01.mgmt.borlange.se)."
05/11/09 13:44:48 Inform 0x00000348 "Collecting thread exits, hostID: #1 (esx-vc01.mgmt.borlange.se)."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Christer, it should work fine with local SQL. The error above does not look to be related to SQL anyhow, rather the issue appears to be due to lack of permissions to connect to the esx-vc01. Looks like Virtual Center? May be you are not providing correct account when adding this Virtual Center? I suggest that you send all logs to support@veeam.com so that our support can assist you with this.
luptona
Novice

Post by luptona »

Coming back almost a year later to try this once again; never could get it running last April and gave up.

I just upgraded the previous version I had installed to 4.5.0.189. Local install, local SQL Express and get:
Could not connect to Veeam Monitor Server. Please check "options... etc.
Clicked OK. Server settings show collector is running, Database is OK. Have changed login account, permissions, turned off firewalls, etc.
The bottom of the Veeam panel shows Database: (disconnected) and Service: MyName-PC(disconnected)
The logs show:
04/05/10 17:00:23 Inform 0x1C9C My Username_pipe "Starting pipe client..."
04/05/10 17:00:23 Inform 0x1C9C My Username_pipe "Pipe client started"
04/05/10 17:00:23 Error 0x1C9C My Username_pipe "Unable to determine amout of data in the pipe. Code - 109"
04/05/10 17:00:23 Error 0x1C9C My Username_pipe "PipeClient: An error occured while receiving message"
04/05/10 17:00:23 Inform 0x1C9C My Username_pipe "Pipe: Connection closed"
04/05/10 17:00:23 Inform 0x1C9C My Username_pipe "Pipe client terminated"
04/05/10 17:00:23 Error 0x038C pipeserv "ClientCommunication: Unable to init new connection"
04/05/10 17:00:23 Error 0x038C pipeserv "The pipe is being closed. (Code: 0x800700E8, Source: (null), Description: (null))"

This is just a local install of the free version with SQL Express on Vista Ultimate 64bit just so I can check the product out. I have not been able to get to the initial setup or add any servers to the monitor. I've checked that the SQL server services are all running, turned off the firewall, turned off all spam and virus protection, etc. I'm at a loss.

Can anyone please advise on what the situation here might be?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Could be issue with upgrade of previously non-working deployment. Please try to do clean install on clean OS instead of upgrade, this should help.
luptona
Novice

Post by luptona »

Completely removed and reinstalled fresh. Same issue.
Collector service status: Running
Database Status: OK
License Status: License is not installed.
Veeam monitor panel shows Database: (disconnected) and Service: MyName-PC (disconnected)
luptona
Novice

Post by luptona »

Removed it again, installed 'run as administrator', launch Veeam monitor as administrator, same error. This time, the panel shows Database: disconnected and Service: MyName-PC (disconnected and running).

Any other thoughts?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Did you just removed Veeam Monitor, or you actually used clean OS install as well? It sounds like there is some computer specific issue, because you are doing the most common and typical install with local SQLExpress... if the product had issues in such scenario, it would be known by now (tens of thousands of free version users). So I trust clean OS and clean product install should definitely help. Try using different computer and different OS may be? Although we did test it on Vista x64 Ultimate, actually I personally had one at the time of Monitor 4.5 release...

What is especially strange in this case is disconnected database and service with local install and both client and server on the same computer, I just cannot see how this may happen except that this specific computer has some issues or some 3rd party software (antivirus/firewall) preventing our components from communicating to each other.

Environment-specific issues typically require full logs research by our dev team (and webex session to let them troubleshoot the issue in live), but technical support is only available for full version and I understand you are using free version. So best fix I can offer is clean install on different computer... trust me, it should work out of box on clean OS install (and no other software present). Can you quickly provision new VM and perform quick test on it?

I have deleted the logs to keep the topic readable, please do not post logs on forum (they are intended for support only).