Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FCa
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fabien C.

Guest File restore : Restore to another Location ?

Post by FCa »

Hello,

This topic may look stupid, but i wanted to proceed to a Guest level restore and was surprised that the only available options are "Keep" or "Overwrite".

Isn't there a way to restore to another location ?

Sometime you may haven't space enough to keep original datas on your FS, but you just don't want to overwrite all.
Having the possibility to restore to another location would be great.

The only workaround i found is to restore localy on my Veeam B&R and then SCP the restore to the server.....

Do i miss something ?
FCa
Service Provider

Re: Guest File restore : Restore to another Location ?

Post by FCa »

Oh... my bad..
i've just seen this topic => Feature Request - VEEAM Enterprise Portal Selfrestore

It seems i'm not the only one who want/need this feature.

You can merge this post to the other & delete this one ;)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Fabien.

It's true that you cannot perform file level recovery to another VM, I've added your vote to this feature request. It's possible to restore files to a different location within the same VM: just use the Copy to option instead of restore. Cheers!
isolated_1
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Simon Chan

Post by isolated_1 »

Hi Dima. Could you please reiterate how to restore/copy files via a file level recovery to another folder within the same VM? You said to use the Copy To option instead of Restore but that only allows me to copy the files to my local Veeam backup machine, not to a new location within the VM I am restoring from.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Simon,

For FLR in Veeam B&R Copy to will place files in local directory of server, however you can point restore to a shared folder, this could be an admin share or specifically created (or shared) for the restore. For some reason was referring to File level recovery from Veeam Agent for Windows, where Copy to restores files to a different folder within the same machine.

FCa
Service Provider

Post by FCa » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima,

Thank's for your reply.

Unfortunately, there's still no way to simply restore, for example, "C:\documents & settings\" from the XYZ vm to "C:\documents & settings_restore\" always on the XYZ vm.

This feature would be great and could help a lot when your customer just want to compare the content of a directory with a previous backuped one.

PS : Currently, on Linux i have to use the FLR's FTP feature if i want to perform such restore. On windows, there's a real lack for this.
jessie0
Enthusiast

Post by jessie0 » 1 person likes this post

Hello.

I am also experiencing the same issue here. I am unable to restore files to a different location using the "copy to" option, other than the local server on which VB&R runs. This problem is the same across my windows, Linux VM and physical server running Windows server 2019.
Just wondering if any one or Admin has been able to fix this problem.

Thanks.
jessie0
Enthusiast

Post by jessie0 »

Hello FCa,

Please guide me on how to use the FLR's FTP feature to restore files to a different location in Linux.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

- Enable FTP server on an FLR appliance
- Connect to it via whatever tool you want to (any tool supporting FTP can be a way to go)
- Copy, paste files

Thanks!
jessie0
Enthusiast

Post by jessie0 »

Hello,

Thank you for the response.
Will look it up.
jessie0
Enthusiast

Post by jessie0 »

Hello Veremin,

Thanks to your help, I was able to successfully restore files to a different location in my Linux machine.

One question though, I know it has been raised previously but is there now a way to restore files to a different location in windows?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There always has been an opportunity to save the restored files to some other location. Or do you mean something different?
jessie0
Enthusiast

Post by jessie0 » 1 person likes this post

Hello Foggy,

Thanks for your response and the link.
Yes I meant something different. My understanding is that according to the link you sent me, one can either restore to the original location of the file or directory in your Windows VM or physical machine but the only other option is to restore to the Veeam Backup and Replication server.

I want to be able to restore files backed up from say a directory in my C:\ drive to a different location, say a directory in my D:\ drive of the same machine, not to the VB&R server.

Thanks.
FCa
Service Provider

Post by FCa » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I'm still surprised this function still not has been implemented on Veeam B&R.

As mentioned previously, sometimes, you need (because the customers asks) to restore some customer's Data to another drive on the same Customer's VM.

Example , customer has some pbs with C:\users\* directories, but can't tell you exactly all directories involved. He wants to compare current with the restore.

He has no space enough to restore & keep existing datas (and he doesn't want to clean it all after the check). He also made plenty modification since the last backup so he wants you to restore all on a "D:\restore-temp" he specially created to get all datas, you can't erase currents datas.

This is a quite basic restore function, but currently, we just can't do it without asking him to create a shared folder on the D:\restore-temp.

Isn't there a way to add this possibility during restore ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

jessie0 wrote: Nov 25, 2019 12:06 am Yes I meant something different. My understanding is that according to the link you sent me, one can either restore to the original location of the file or directory in your Windows VM or physical machine but the only other option is to restore to the Veeam Backup and Replication server.
You can restore to any other server as well, but as Fabien has mentioned, the location should be available on the network as a CIFS share.
bytewiseits
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dion Norman

Post by bytewiseits » 3 people like this post

Having the option to restore to an alternate folder location on the original VM would be a very welcome feature. Sometimes using the workaround of copying via SMB is just not possible, especially if the VM has been hardened/SMB blocked/firewalled etc. It can also be much slower, especially if there are alot of smaller files.

Instead of restoring to the original folder location, the restored data could just be redirected to the specified folder/path within the original VM via the guest worker service restoring the data.

Can we please have this added/updated as a feature request for future versions? (ie a 'Restore To' option in addition to the 'Copy To' option)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dion, thanks for your voice and the reasoning - we keep tracking requests in this and other similar threads.
mcalton
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcus Calton

Post by mcalton » 1 person likes this post

I vote for this feature as well. I need to refresh data from a backup of a PRD server to a UAT server and there is currently no way to do this re-directed restore in Veeam 9.5 Update 4.
EdgarRicharte
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by EdgarRicharte » 2 people like this post

I vote for this feature as well. It is always a pain to restore files that customer wants copies of but still wants the original.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Edgar, what about simply restoring them with "Keep" option?
EdgarRicharte
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by EdgarRicharte »

@gostev That option works great with smaller files. But we have clients who want entire folder directories and want to compare the original to the backup. Harder to do when it is several TB's.
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by SteelContainer »

+1 for a 'restore to' option.
Another option is to utilize the data labs to access restore point data through the lab proxy appliance, but this can be a pain to setup if you don't already have a lab configured and need to recover data urgently.
JOSchi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joerg

Post by JOSchi »

Hi, I' m also missing this feature.
My workaround for restoring files in another Location to the same VM is to rename the original Folder in [foldername].old and to restore necessary files to the former "original location". So I have the files with correct NTFS-Access-Permissions on the original VM and do not need any SMB-Shares or FTP-accounts or don't have to pay attention to any firewall restrictions.

Perhaps this may help somebody. :)

brgds
joschi
Maineiac15
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Schriver

Post by Maineiac15 » 1 person likes this post

This feature would be nice. Just moved to Veeam because it did everything our old software would do but then some. However this is the only thing so far that goes the other way.

We have a server that has a live db directory and a training db directory. d:\live\files and d:\training\files. To refresh the training db with live data we would just restore the d:\live directory to the d:\training directory. Cannot do that so easily anymore. :(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

We're adding this capability to V12.
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Post by JaySt »

oh man, this feature would be appreciated so much by many customers.
Veeam Certified Engineer
s2cbackup
Novice
Full Name: John Lee

Post by s2cbackup »

I'm on V12 Back & Replication, and I'm not seeing this option; it either KEEP or Overwrite. We are moving a lot of data and need a process like "Purge" in RichCopy that can delete files that do not exist in the backup file and add new files to the destination server. This extremely valuable function can be used to limit downtime while going live from a new server.
For example, an Overwrite can take 12 hours. Keep causes more work all around, but a Purge can sync the data in 1 hour. This can be the difference between keeping clients and losing clients.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Strange you're not seeing it. Can you share a screenshot of the right-click menu?
s2cbackup
Novice

Post by s2cbackup »

Hi Gostev

I did figure out a workaround based on someone else's post. You can RDP from the Destination, and in RDP, share options and "Drives." From the RDP session, you can "Copy To" a
\\tsclient\ drive. But I'm not sure the "Copy To" will Purge the files that are no longer on the Source.

s2cbackup
Novice

Post by s2cbackup »

PS Both servers are in my Veeam Inventory