Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
icoleman_uk
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Iain Coleman

Chain jobs, backup > copy > replicate?

Post by icoleman_uk »

Hi,

We have two sites, our main production site and a DR site. Each has it's own VMWare hosts, Veeam repository and Veeam proxy. They're basically mirrored.

I want to set up a job that does the following:

1. Backup VM from production environment to local repository.
2. Copy the backup to the remote repository.
3. Remote replicate on the remote hosts from the remote repository.

I can fire off the replication job after the backup job but because the copy job is effectively running continuously and only checks for changes at each interval there's no way to guarantee that the copy job has completed before the replication task starts.

I'm probably missing something here but I can't find a definitive answer to what I'm trying to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to do this?

Thanks for your help.

-Iain.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Chain jobs, backup > copy > replicate?

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Iain,

You can schedule the replication job any time after the backup job, so even if the backup copy job in processing state, the replication job should be delayed until it completes.
Also, you can use a post-job script to run replication after a copy job. Thanks!
icoleman_uk
Influencer

Post by icoleman_uk »

Ah great, thank you. :)
icoleman_uk
Influencer

Post by icoleman_uk »

Seems like it's not possible to do what I want. I want the replication job to run after the Copy completes. the copy job has no option to run scripts when it finishes.

Setting the copy job interval to reset just before the backup runs ensures the copy runs just after the backup as desired however if I chain the replication job to occur when the backup job completes it starts before the copy occurs and therefore doesn't see the newly created restore point.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

You can find scripts tab in the backup copy job wizard -> Target -> Advanced -> Scripts.
Please review this great post about why you should better avoid job chaining. Thanks!
icoleman_uk
Influencer

Post by icoleman_uk »

Ah, yes, I missed that, thank you.

I understand that chaining jobs like this isn't generally considered to be "best practice" however Veeam doesn't behave the way I'd expect so I don't see any other option.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Veeam backup copy not a job ?

Post by zadrian »

Using VBR 11.x Enterprise Plus for VMware.
I am stringing a series of jobs from a single Veeam job such that
- VM is backup to NAS-HQ-SSD (using SSDs, 2 retentions), using Veeam SureBackup to verify task
- Veeam backup copy job to NAS-HQ-SATA (using SATA HDD, 14 retention & GFS etc)
- Veeam backup copy job to NAS-Remote_Site-SATA (using SATA HDD, 14 retention & GFS etc)
- Veeam Replication to ESXi in remote site, VM source using Backup data sets on NAS-Remote_Site-SATA, using Veeam SureReplica to verify task.

The only problem is that I can string or chain such that the Veeam backup copy jobs runs after the Veeam backup jobs (it is considered as secondary copy within backup job). I can also string other Backup jobs to run after each backup job completes.

But I cannot string the Veeam replication jobs after the Veeam Backup Copy jobs complete. This is important as I would not know the time it will take for the Veeam Backup Copy jobs to complete especially if data is being transferred across WAN.

Anyway to string that ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Adrian, you cannot chain the replication job to a backup copy job but you could use a bit of scripting to achieve what you want. Thanks!