Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
agoldenlife
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Golden

Proxy Setup questions

Post by agoldenlife »

OK, this is probably a simple question. I have walked into a situation, and because I have not seen some of these things before. I don't know if it is supposed to be this way or not. I can't seem to find any documentation that says it should be, but before I dismantle it...

I have 2 proxy servers setup and a main server to control the backup jobs. I am cleaning up the proxies as it seems they are configured differently, and I can't seem to find anything that says they should be configured at all.

Setup
all 3 are VM's with iSCSI access to Nimble SAN where VM disks are stored. They backup to a single CIFS share on a Synology.
the 2 proxy servers have some of the storage infrastructure added to Veeam B&R and they both have the nimble storage added under storage infrastructure.

Question: Do the proxy servers need any configuration other than having the iSCSI access to the Nimble SAN? I noticed that the Synology shows up under backup repositories for each. Does that even need to be there? I figured since the jobs are run/controlled from server1 and 2 and 3 are just proxies they should not need to be configured. Just make sure they have access.

Thanks!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Proxy Setup questions

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

James,

In simple terms, you need 3 components for backup: a B&R console, a proxy, and a data repository; it seems that you're covered.

Veeam proxies are data movers so you're correct that they need access to your infrastructure. Your Backup and Recovery (B&R) console (server 1) will install software on servers 2 and 3 so they can function as proxies.

If I'm interpreting correctly, server 1 is your B&R console, servers 2 and 3 are proxies, and your Synology is your data repository.

If you have not yet reviewed the Veeam backup proxy information follow this link: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Proxy Setup questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

agoldenlife wrote:Do the proxy servers need any configuration other than having the iSCSI access to the Nimble SAN?
It depends. If you want to use Direct SAN mode, then iSCSI access should be enough. However if you're using storage snapshots to back up your data, then some additional steps might be required.
agoldenlife wrote:I noticed that the Synology shows up under backup repositories for each. Does that even need to be there? I figured since the jobs are run/controlled from server1 and 2 and 3 are just proxies they should not need to be configured. Just make sure they have access.
Yes, Synology device should be listed in the repository section.