Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tommls
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Tom Lyczko

Reinstall questions

Post by tommls »

I'm planning to reinstall Veeam 9.5 u## in the coming weeks at two sites so I can have smaller VMs without the WAN accelerator cache folders.
My questions:

1) How do I set the configuration backup to be encrypted but no other backups, nothing else to be encrypted?? I am doing this encrypting to ensure all the passwords are carried over into the newly rebuilt server.

2) Since these new Veeam installs will not use WAN accelerators going forward, I don't think anything specific/special is required during the installation process?? One simply does not create any new WAN accelerators at all and the WAN cache will not be created or necessary??

Thank you, Tom
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Reinstall questions

Post by PTide »

Hi,
so I can have smaller VMs without the WAN accelerator cache folders.
I'm not sure that I understand the idea, would you elaborate, please? What does VM size has to do with WAN accelerator cache folder? If you want to reduce the size of Veeam server disks, then I would recommend just to remove WAN accelerators from all jobs and from the infrastructure so the folders can be deleted.
1) How do I set the configuration backup to be encrypted but no other backups, nothing else to be encrypted?? I am doing this encrypting to ensure all the passwords are carried over into the newly rebuilt server.
You just need to enable the encryption, please check this article.

Thanks
tommls
Enthusiast

Post by tommls »

You just need to enable the encryption, please check this article.
I read the article but on our Veeam server the 'loss protection' is not enabled (no green checkmark) and the *only* thing we want encrypted is the configuration backup, not anything else. This confuses me since I read about 'loss protection' and it seems to have to do with encrypting backups, which we don't want...

Thank you, Tom
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Enabling encryption for configuration backup does not enable encryption for backups. 'Loss protection' also has nothing to do with backup encryption - it simple allows you to access the encrypted configuration backup file even if you've lost your password. Please note that the feature cannot be used without Enterprise Manager.

Thanks
tommls
Enthusiast

Post by tommls »

OIC :) :)
Thank you for explaining...it's confusing to see that item.
Thank you

Tom