Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Veeam Backup Servers - Both Domain and Workgroup

Post by paallergy »

I have 2 physical Veeam backup servers (site A and site B). Right now both are workgroup (not joined to domain). However, the workgroup part causes complications when setting up Veeam Agent for Windows. The options are to use 1 local account (from VBR server) and multiple repositories, or multiple local accounts (one per computer) and one repository (unless I'm missing options).

I'm considering joining the VBR server at site A to the domain. I can then configure VAW to use the computer account and just use one repository.

I plan on having domain controllers at both site A and site B. However, if for some reason the VBR server at site A does not have access to a domain controller I'm assuming I can use use Veeam B&R with a local account.

If all domain servers at site A, including the VBR server, become compromised I should still have the backups at site B (non-domain server).

Does anyone have a similar setup?
Am I missing something?
Are my assumptions incorrect?
Is there a better solution?

Thank you
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam Backup Servers - Both Domain and Workgroup

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The Agents do not need to be part of the Domain to authenticate against the B&R Server.

So you can be in a workgroup or other domain at the Agent and then authenticate with a domain account (domain of B&R Server) or local account of B&R Server there.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

And for restore, you can switch to a local authentication if the Domain Server is not available.
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Post by paallergy »

Andreas Neufert wrote:The Agents do not need to be part of the Domain to authenticate against the B&R Server.

So you can be in a workgroup or other domain at the Agent and then authenticate with a domain account (domain of B&R Server) or local account of B&R Server there.
If I use the same B&R Server local account for 10 agents, won't each of those 10 users have access to all 10 of the backups?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Your are right, I was not precice enough.

You can use multiple accounts if needed.
https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-fo ... 28039.html