Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
biolippe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoph

Backup not working/slow performance

Post by biolippe »

Hi all,

I have a really strange behaviour in my VM backup infrastructre. Last week on thursday we did an update of our pure storage System to Version 5.1.2. after the upgrade everything was running fine for 2 days. then the backup failed with this error:

21.07.2018 20:06:58 :: Full backup file merge failed Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.Patch}: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation
Failed to write data to the file [D:\ALL_VM_s\XXXXXXXX.vm-47284D2018-06-15T200021.vbk].

Then I upgraded the Server Firmware wit the HP SPP from 06.2018. It is an HPE ProLiant 380DL Gen9. The Backup is now failing with another error:
25.07.2018 20:11:16 :: Processing XXXXXXXXXXX Error: NTFS file: failed to read 1962784 bytes at offset 0
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Next Thing I did, I cloned the backup Job and ran it. At the beginning it ran with over 300MBit/s (direct san Access) and then after a while I saw this error for one machine:
27.07.2018 15:08:48 :: Processing XXXXXXXXXXError: VDDK operation timed out: Read
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: VDDK operation timed out: Read
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [7].
Failed to download disk.

After a while the processing rate went down to 20MB/s

So I created a new backupjob for this singe machine and also moved this machine to another datastore and ran the Job. The Jobs starts but the disks are not read. It doesn'T copy the data.

Something went really wrong here. Where should I start to search for the error? Im using Version 9.5.0.1922
biolippe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoph

Re: Backup not working/slow performance

Post by biolippe »

Update of the FC Card driverds helped
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup not working/slow performance

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Christoph,

Thank you for following up! That's could be helpful for further readers.