Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Replication Failover Options

Post by jlester »

We had a major power outage a couple of weeks ago. To pile on, our generator had a bad coolant sensor and also failed to start. When I got to the office, the UPS batteries died as I was walking in. It took several hours to get everything back up and running. The biggest headache was getting AD, DNS, DHCP, and vCenter all back up so we could start bringing up the other services that were dependent on them. We've always used Veeam for backups, but have not been doing replication. We remedied that this week by replicating those critical services to another location that is connected to us via 10G fiber.

This brings up the question of what would the process be to failover in the event of another outage like the previous one? Our AD, DNS, DHCP, vCenter, and Veeam Console are all VM's running on our main HPE Synergy cluster. If that system is offline, how would we get to Veeam to do the failover? I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't seem to figure it out, even after reading the documentation.

Thanks, Jason
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication Failover Options

Post by foggy »

Hi Jason, the most straightforward approach would be to run Veeam B&R on the target site - in this case you would just need to access console and perform failover of other systems. Some other options are discussed in this thread.
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Re: Replication Failover Options

Post by jlester » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, that thread helped. I now have a second Veeam install running on the DR host that is doing the replication from the DR site. If the main site goes down, we can do the failover from the DR host and be back up and going.