Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TheBR
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Unable to Browse NAS Data Store from Veeam Agent 2.2

Post by TheBR »

Hi,
In the configure backup section -> Shared Folder, i cannot "Browse" the datastore. Instead when i click Browse I get a message stating:-
"Loading Devices.....

Last error: The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available."
This is with the correct share credentials set.

I am able to populate the free space in the same section and if i copy the correct location to my share - e.g. \\192.168.151.2\PC Backups\users\PC1\MainPC i can continue and backup properly and it will backup correctly.

When using recovery media created by Veeam Agent i have exactly the same issue where i cannot browse the share and i have to manually type the location of the backup to be able to restore.

Browsing to the share from the same Windows machine using the same credentials works perfectly.

The share is a Qnap NAS set to the same workgroup as the PC, configured for windows shares and the user has full read/write access (which works as i can browse to it from the same machine without issue.)

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable to Browse NAS Data Store from Veeam Agent 2.2

Post by Dima P. »

Hello TheBR.

Can you please clarify if you have any firewalls or routers between target NAS and affected computer? Thanks.
TheBR
Novice

Post by TheBR »

Hi,
Nothing other than the default Windows firewall, the NAS is on the same subnet. I don't think it will be the Windows firewall as A) It works as a share on the same machine with no issues and B) Using the recovery media i have the same issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

i cannot browse the share and i have to manually type the location of the backup to be able to restore
To clarify, are you trying to browse for the said share before typing in credentials?
TheBR
Novice

Post by TheBR »

No,
The credentials are already filled in and the box is ticked which says "this share requires access credentials".

When i say:-

"i have to manually type the location of the backup to be able to restore"

What i mean is that i have to manually type out the Shared Folder: Section above where i can populate the available disk space, at which point i can continue to the schedule section. However, I cannot click the browse button next to this and browse for my preferred directory otherwise i get the error listed above.

If i DONT click the box which is ticked which says "this share requires access credentials" i cannot proceed to the schedule section, it tells me access is denied as i would expect.
TheBR
Novice

Post by TheBR »

HI,
I just received this from a support case i logged:-
Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Veeam Technical Support.

Please be informed that this behavior is expected.

Microsoft has removed SMB 1 and Workgroups support from all MS products, and now it is not possible to browse shared directories.

This should be fixed in the next version of Veeam Agent.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi TheBR.

Thanks for sharing the details. Can I ask you to share the case ID with me? Want to review it with our QA team.
TheBR
Novice

Post by TheBR » 1 person likes this post

No problem,
The caseID is Case # 03155732.

I have to take their word for it but i don't pretend to understand it.

My qnap minimum samba version is set to V2, max V3, Windows 10 i think is SMBv3 (V1 is not even installed by default) so unless this is specifically related to a workgroup issue which again is strange given that everything else works apart from directory listing then im not sure if this is what they think it is. Saying that though the error message given specifically refers to workgroups so i could very well be wrong.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Asked support managers to take care of your case (I agree that is not related to SMB v1, so log analysis is required). Please let me know how it goes or of you need any other assistance.