Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dominikRieder
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Dominik Rieder

Monitoring Backup Jobs with Snmp

Post by dominikRieder »

Hello everyone,

I want to use the PRTG monitoring platform to monitor the backup jobs executed by veeam. For that I want to use Snmp with the .mib file of Veeam.
Since I am new to this, I might have a wrong understanding of some of the basics, so please bare with me.

The Prtg agend can be configured with a .mib (where I used the Veeam .mib file). The problem is that when I try to scan the data for a specifi OID I get the following response:
No such object (SNMP error # 222)
(this happens for all OIDs specified in the veeam .mib file)

I am quite sure that I setup the snmp services on both machines (the prtg and veeam machine) correctly, since I am able to read the ''device uptime'' with snmp.
Also I setup the Snmp Configuration in the Veeam B&R GUI with the IP of the reciver, Port and Community String.

It seems that the snmp configuration in veeam applies to sending data (i think trap notification or something?). But I tought that the .mib file tells where to find the data about backups on the machine veeam runs on. I hoped to use this mib file to actively read the data instead of receiving data from Veeam.

Any help with this problem is appreciated very much!

Best Regards,
Dominik
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Monitoring Backup Jobs with Snmp

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dominik,

Veeam B&R can send SNMP traps to the desired SNMP receiver based on it's activity, check this article for proper global SNMP trap notification setup and let us know if that works for you. Cheers!
MOQ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dean Tichborne

Post by MOQ »

Thanks for this post as this is what I am looking for. I have PRTG and want to monitor Veeam.
According to this post veeam-backup-replication-f2/where-can-i ... 13133.html there is a mib file. I grab the mib file from suggested place and import it into PRTG. I go to my backup server and add the SNMP sensor and choose the mib file i created and then I get the same error as Dominik received:

Sorry, the scan for available monitoring items has failed!
Could not create the SNMP Library sensor on device "backupservernam and IP address".
No such object (SNMP error # 222)

I can confirm SNMP is working on this server.

The reply to this ticket veeam-backup-replication-f2/monitoring- ... 52910.html mentions traps.

My question is, to monitor Veeam - backup failed/successful jobs, etc. Can we simply do a pull like what most mibs allow... the monitoring server on a query schedule goes out to the backup server to confirm how backup jobs are going/went? or is it only a push method where the backup server hits a threshold and sends an error to our monitoring server?

Thanks,

MOQ
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VBR supports push (sending SNMP traps). It is not possible to query / pull the VBR server with SNMP. It's not running an SNMP server.

Best regards,
Hannes