Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevil
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve B

Dedupe off but still deduping?

Post by stevil »

Hi,

I have a backup job that has dedupe and compression disabled as we are testing backing up to an IBM N3300 filer which has its own deduplication. I happened to check the backup properties this morning and noticed that compression in 100% for all restore points but dedupe is 46% for the full backup and around 80-90% for incrementals.

Has the dedupe setting not been activated for some reason?

Cheers
Alexey D.

Re: Dedupe off but still deduping?

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Steve,

We've just followed your scenario and dedupe goes off, as it has to be... Please contact our support team, they will investigate. Thanks!
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Update:

Even if dedupe is actually OFF, it is ok to have numbers such as in your case (46%, 80-90%) - because when processing a VM, B&R skips blocks with zeroes. This leads to smaller backup size, even when compression and dedupe are disabled.
stevil
Expert

Post by stevil »

Ahh, now that makes more sense. I'm running a fresh job to be confirm anyway but I suspect you're right ;)
stevil
Expert

Post by stevil »

OK, my test job finished, 90GB Data size, 59GB Backup Size, 65% de-dupe ratio. So, you are right :)
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Ok, so maybe you may use this number (59GB) as a starting point in your IBM N3300 tests? Since this ratio will not change.