Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
johnd
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John dickens

Full VM restore to new location

Post by johnd »

Struggling with something, I want to do a full VM restore to a new location, which seems fine, I have renamed the restored VM as name_restored. I power down the production server, power on the restored server but I am unable to access it via RDP or get it to respnd to Ping, I have flushed all my arp and mac addresses but it still will not respond. Baffled.... can anybody see what I've done wrong?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Full VM restore to new location

Post by Gostev »

Firewall? Or just no network path to that location?
johnd
Novice

Post by johnd »

Gostev, I have a full restore on the entire VM but am unable to access the console via vsphere so RDP is my only option. The firewall settings will be the identical to the production VM.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Did you double check that the network adapter is mapped to the proper network? Sometimes with restores to new locations the network mappings don't work right.

Also, does the new location have the same IPs?
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

is this new location on the same network/vlan as the old location?
johnd
Novice

Post by johnd »

skrause wrote:Did you double check that the network adapter is mapped to the proper network? Sometimes with restores to new locations the network mappings don't work right.

Also, does the new location have the same IPs?
Yes, I checked network adapter was on the same network in vmware and yes the server has the same IPs, I even set the mac address in vmware to be the same as the original. I shutdwn the production server, then borught up the restored VM and absolutely no response.
johnd
Novice

Post by johnd »

bdufour wrote:is this new location on the same network/vlan as the old location?
Hi, yes it is.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Does the mac address show up on the address table of the switch upstream of your host?
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

I saw something similar when the original VM had old NLB config and alternative IP addresses. Security on the DVS wouldn't assign the copy a port. So check your source VM first, see if it has any odd network config.

Also you could try firing up you copied VM, console and give it a new IP address rather than using the old.
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

may want to check windows didnt change profiles from say domain to public - as there have been known cases of that happening. i understand it should be identical, but id at least look. if it did in fact change - make sure file and printer sharing is enabled inbound, by default - newer windows OS disable this feature, which disables icmp (ping). so if you can ping outbound from that machine, but not inbound - im certain that is your issue. but without a vsphere console, that may be impossible. why cant you console in via vsphere or directly from the host?