Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Need site-specific persistent FLR config

Post by mikeely »

We need an FLR at Site A and another FLR at Site B so that storage is not traversing the WAN. We've set up the numerous firewall rules and exceptions required to make this work, and FLR works fine.

Here's the problem: If the last FLR was at Site A, and you need to do an FLR to Site B, you have to remember to change the ESX host, change the VLAN, and change the ip, mask, gw for the FLR.

How do we set an FLR for Site A and another for Site B such that when an FLR operation is run the correct FLR config is used rather than having to manually switch all the time?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Need site-specific persistent FLR config

Post by foggy »

Hi Mike, we're talking about Windows FLR, right?
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Post by mikeely » 1 person likes this post

No, Linux. I should create a sig that says "Unless otherwise specified, I am not asking about an OS with a registry."
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can use Enterprise Manager to initiate FLR under two different user accounts. FLR appliance settings are stored per user in EM, so this should address your concern. After creating a second user in EM, run FLR under it from Veeam B&R UI once, so that the corresponding settings were cached.
jesseburke
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jesse

[MERGED] Permanent "other OS" FLR Appliance

Post by jesseburke »

Hello! I have been working with Veeam support on an intermittent issue relating to the FLR appliance that gets spun up when you try to do a guest file restore on a Linux VM.

What support has noticed is that there is an issue with building the VM and with uploading the ISO required to build this temporary VM.

I'm planning on looking into some writing some more Powershell scripts to solve the issue for us, but I'm also wondering if there is any other way to just create this FLR appliance permanently.

It doesn't even need to run all the time, just turn it on when you need to do some backup testing or file restores or what have you.

The problem is that you do a test restore and let's say the FLR appliance works, ok great. Backups mounted, files can be copied, backup looks good! Then I want to test the next one in the list and Veeam has destroyed the previous FLR appliance and so we just do it all over again! In my situation, if it works once, and then the appliance is torn down and rebuilt for the next test, it's entirely possible THAT test will fail. Then my only recourse is to try over and over until it works again.

That seems cumbersome to me and I want to find a better solution. For me, right now, the issue is deploying the appliance. So if I just don't ever have to deploy the appliance again, the problem would be nullified!

So maybe this just turns into a feature request, but I'd like to have a more flexible system for the Other OS FLR appliance. If we had the option to CHOOSE an existing appliance, that could then be a default option just like the VM host, resource pool, and IP address and all that jazz, that you're going to be using every time.

I wrote a Veeam instant recovery script which uses PowerCLI and Powershell and works pretty good! I think I might be able to do something similar with the guest file restore, but I'd like to get some feedback and go through official channels as well!

Likewise any of my peers that are having similar issues or would like something similar, let's collaborate!

Thanks!

Jesse
Systems Engineer
Portland Internetworks
jesseburke
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jesse

[MERGED] Permanent "other OS" FLR Appliance

Post by jesseburke »

Anybody ever try to build a persistent FLR appliance so that they can test Linux or other OS backups without having to wait for the FLR to spin up over and over again?

I've been having issues with it intermittently not working for me. Haven't figured out why yet, and have been working with Veeam support.

Also posted this another time, with a lot more words I suspect and I have no idea where the topic went :(

Current Veeam case ID: 03106096
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Permanent "other OS" FLR Appliance

Post by foggy »

Hi Jesse, it was merged into another existing discussion regarding similar matter. Thanks!
dharenkamp
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Daniel Harenkamp

Post by dharenkamp »

+1 for this feature request.
There should be a possibility to make the FLR persistent to do the restore as simple as possible.
I don´t want to specify everytime an IP / HOST etc. for a restore.
Just add it as a Veeam component like a Proxy...

Regards
Daniel
Veeam Partner and Cloud Service Provider
christian.naenny
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Christian Naenny

[MERGED] Feature Request: permanent Linux VM as FLR Helper, Case# 04076562

Post by christian.naenny »

Hi everyone!

I asked for the feature of a permanent Linux VM to be implemented as a FLR Helper Appliance.
I'm just wondering if we're the only ones where the current concept of the FLR Helper Appliance does not work?

In our network there is absolutely NO random MAC address to pop up and ask for an IP! Every single device in the network is tightly managed by a provisioning process based on a CMDB (configuration management database). Therefore it would be nice to be able to add the FLR Helper Appliance as a permanent Backup Infrastructure component (much like the Backup Proxies).

Please share your thoughts about this issue.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello Christian,
no, there are more customers who are not happy with the current "on-demand boot". Actually, I would prefer to remove the FLR appliance completely instead of making it permanent.

Long story short: we are aware of the issue and plan improvements. But I cannot give you a timeline yet.

Best regards,
Hannes