Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fcures
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Federico Cures

Windows 10 vs Windows Server

Post by fcures »

Hello, how are you?

Could you tell me in which cases should Veeam install on a Windows server or Windows 10 operating system?
if you can tell me what difference there is and what impact they could generate, or what is the best practice.
At the license level in windows there is a big difference, so I suppose the operation of Veeam would not be the same.
Thank you very much! :D

Federico
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Win10 vs Win Server.

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Federico.

Until proven otherwise, I personally consider anything beyond "Windows 10 Pro for Workstations" to be an overkill for cost-sensitive environments. Both OS share the same kernel, so the premium price of Windows Server comes solely from the features and roles you will never use on a backup appliance.

Moreover, if you don't need ReFS and have just a few hundreds of VMs to protect, then you can go with the regular Windows 10 Pro (as from the relevant stuff, Workstation edition only adds ReFS and support for up to 4 server-grade processors).

I do recommend at least Pro edition of Windows 10 for the ability to postpone major updates. I have this option enabled on all of my computers, and it saved me more than once already!

Thanks!
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Windows 10 vs Windows Server

Post by Regnor »

For smaller environments or virtualized backup servers Windows 10 could be sufficient.
As soon as you use enterprise hardware equipment (server, HBA,RAID,...) Windows Server could be required. Either there are no drivers available for Windows client OS (which could be manually solved) or you won't get support by the OEMs.
cambiumphil
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phil Brutsche

Post by cambiumphil »

Does anyone have any comments to add about the affects the SAC (Semi-Annual Channel) updates to Windows 10 affect Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5?

We are a VCSP, and our preferred Windows "appliance" (Thecus W4810 or Thecus W5810 - small multi-drive appliances that run Windows Storage Server Essentials) for customer environments is EOL/EOS.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

A note on using Win10 as virtual components: from a licensing standpoint it may be more expensive to run Win10 than Server depending upon how you do your windows licensing for your VM infrastructure as running Win10 as a VM requires a VDA license in addition to the normal Windows10 license.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
cambiumphil
Service Provider

Post by cambiumphil » 1 person likes this post

skrause wrote:A note on using Win10 as virtual components: from a licensing standpoint it may be more expensive to run Win10 than Server depending upon how you do your windows licensing for your VM infrastructure as running Win10 as a VM requires a VDA license in addition to the normal Windows10 license.
Agreed. Virtualizing Windows 10 is NEVER as simple as just buying OEM or Retail licenses from Newegg or Tiger Direct (or wherever else one would purchase them from).

We don't like virtualizing Veeam B&R - it makes things more complicated in the RAID hardware failure scenario; you need storage external to the server being backed up anyway, and a QNAP or Synology cost similar to the Thecus boxes that were available.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Doesn't windows 10 have a connection limit too? Or did they do away with that?
dmayer
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Daniel Mayer

Post by dmayer »

cambiumphil wrote:Does anyone have any comments to add about the affects the SAC (Semi-Annual Channel) updates to Windows 10 affect Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5?

We are a VCSP, and our preferred Windows "appliance" (Thecus W4810 or Thecus W5810 - small multi-drive appliances that run Windows Storage Server Essentials) for customer environments is EOL/EOS.
The SAC isn't an issue for us, I just set a GP to ignore feature updates for 365 days and when a feature update is supported in a Veeam release, we'll deploy it. Though using LTSC might be a more smart choice anyhow. I also have it set to manually install WU as well, so that feature can't just slide in without notice.
cambiumphil
Service Provider

Post by cambiumphil »

I'm more concerned with finding out if people have experience with the upgrade process actually breaking something.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No problems using SAC as long as you delay feature updates. It did break things before - but our support commitment for new platforms is "within 90 days of GA". In other words, exact same considerations here as why I recommended Pro vs. Home edition above.
cambiumphil
Service Provider

Post by cambiumphil »

Thanks Gostev!
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Mgamerz wrote: Sep 14, 2018 7:13 pm Doesn't windows 10 have a connection limit too? Or did they do away with that?
what do you mean with "connection limit"? are you talking about the smb-share-limit?
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Seems to be 20: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... ion-limits

This is not limited to just SMB.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

I didn't know that this limit was set for all incoming connections per service... BUT: AFAIK, most of the connections from the veeam-backup-server are outgoing connections (to proxies, vm's, vmware, etc.) so you should never worry about this limit...
xrated
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Rechberger

Post by xrated »

are there any other considerations?
Also in addition for Veeam O365 backup.

Protected data is not a lot, around 1TB and close to 40 users

Was thinking about Intel Desktop Board S1700. There is no ECC but i think thats tolerable on backup.
RAID1 should work too on the B760?

ReFS is in 10/11 Workstation ok...