Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Installation user accounts questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alexey is correct. In order to have a full synthetic backup on Saturday, you need to specify Everyday on the Job Schedule step of the wizard.
Should more info be required, please look through our User Guide (pages 12-13, 67-68)
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

So as long as full synthetic and an incremental are schedule for the same day - after the incremental is taken, the full synthetic will be generated?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Exactly. As long as job is scheduled to run on synthetic full day, the synthetic full will be assembled.

And I have already requested a change so that full is assembled regardless job schedule for specific day, since this was reported before, and current behavior does not make sense to me either.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

Another question:
Let's say a reverse incremental is used. A backup runs for 4 days ( mon-tue-wed = incremental and thursday=FULL). On Friday, when the backup runs again and creates a new full (friday) and a new incremental (thursday) - does it touch/update mon-tue-wed in any way?

The reason I ask is because I want to know if those files change - if they do, then they will be uploaded every day to our off-siting device. If they don't - then they will be copied only once (which is what we want).

I want to save as much storage space as possible and only have one full backup at any given moment. But I don't want to re-upload an entire chain of backups every day to the off-site device.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

As soon as the job performs new "active" full, all previous backup files are "abandoned". Meaning, they are never touched again until they are deleted. Basically, the new full backup starts new "chain" (almost equivalent to creating the new job, except that all restore point from "previous" chain are still available).

Keep in mind though that with active fulls in picture, you will not be able to have "only one" full backup on storage, which seems to be what you want. You will always have at least 2 full backups, depending on your retention policy. If you only want 1 full backup at any time, do not enable periodic active fulls. Reversed incremental backup mode does not require them anyway.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

I didn't mean "Active fulls", i was talking about the fact that during Rerverse Incremental every latest backup (today's) is always full+incremental from previous backup. So to me it seems that during reverse incremental only two backup files are created/touched - latest (which is always full) and previous backup (which is always reverse incremental).

I just wanted to make sure that all the rest of reverse incremental files are not touched and don't change.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That is correct.