RESTful knowledge exchange
frankU32
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Frank Tighe

Configure FLR appliance from API

Post by frankU32 »

When performing a Linux restore via the API, what are the API calls used that configure the FLR appliance?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Configure FLR appliance from API

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Frank, are you searching for this list?
frankU32
Enthusiast

Post by frankU32 »

This related to PowerShell, I need to know how to pass this information via the API.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, I see. Today the only supported way to do that is to configure this appliance via PowerShell. There are no other public APIs available, but thanks for the FR!
frankU32
Enthusiast

Post by frankU32 »

Yes there is, there is a REST API
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, we do have RESTful APIs (public interface) too, but I couldn't find any samples on how to achieve your goal via REST. Thanks!
frankU32
Enthusiast

Post by frankU32 »

I have had a response from support and it seems that there is currently no way to perform a file restore for anything that isn't windows via the API. Hopefully, that can save someone a lot of wasted time and money.
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Post by benyoung »

Hi frankU32 - are you simply trying to get a file out of a backup point via the API or are you trying to configure the flr appliance?

I have a fully functioning web portal that drives the Veeam API (in a multi tenant cloud provider environment)

1) inject files/folders into the VM or
2) download files direct to browser

Screenshot of one i just loaded up on a test linux machine we have here, youll see a few direct downloads and the log file open bottom right, left hand side has the file system

frankU32
Enthusiast

Post by frankU32 »

Way to plug you product dude.
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Post by benyoung » 1 person likes this post

franku32- very much NOT a product plug... considering it is not for sale and the product is not named at all....

I was simply taking some time to try and help you by asking you what you were trying to do and showing you that a linux machine can have files retrieved out of the API directly.

Good luck with your development
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I have had a response from support and it seems that there is currently no way to perform a file restore for anything that isn't windows via the API.
You can perform a file restore for anything that isn't windows. Your issue comes down to this:

- You're processing Non-Windows VM without Application Processing option enabled
- Without this option backup server cannot understand Guest OS, as Hyper-V itself doesn't return this information to backup server
- By default, restores executed via RESTful API for such backups are performed as Windows FLR ones. Thus, restore process fails

So, you can either enable Application Processing option or wait till support team provide you with hot fix (they're working on it at the moment).

Thanks!
frankU32
Enthusiast

Post by frankU32 »

I have the hotfix thanks, but my comment is true if you are coming to this API blind and you haven't been lucky enough to score a hotfix, then you cannot restore a Linux file with the documentation given. In fact, the only way is to use a fugley workaround. Its just not what you would expect from a product like Veeam
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your comment is true, only if one condition is met - Application Aware Image Processing is not enabled. In this case we cannot figure OS of VM processed, as Hyper-V does not return this information. And enabling one of the recommended settings is not a workaround.

Anyway, glad to hear that you've got a hotfix; we'll consider incorporating it in one of the next product releases.

Thanks!