Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
robg
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Rob

Gostev's forum digest

Post by robg » 2 people like this post

Gostev, I think you are starting to get a little bit snooty with these.

> (if you're still not using IFTTT, then I really don't know how you manage to absorb the Internet).

Please don't forget that this is addressed to your customers.

Still, I enjoy reading them. Even when you're wrong:

> some of those Linux boxes in the wild can be really old (like over 10 years old easily) – because they just work and no one wants to touch them - well, this would be the end for those.

Linux boxes 10 years or older are still perfectly fine if no one can ever reach them to run exploits.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Gostev's forum digest

Post by Gostev » 8 people like this post

robg wrote:Please don't forget that this is addressed to your customers.
Actually, it is not. This is addressed to Community Forums members, many of which are not even Veeam customers. If you'd like to receive the official corporate communication from Veeam to its customers instead, you can sign up here.

That said, I do apologize if sometimes my style of writing comes over offensive - I admit I write most of these on the go, being myself and without putting much thought into how this or that phrase can be [mis]interpreted in certain cultures. But I think the end result is good enough since I don't usually get more than one complaint per year (congrats for claiming the 2016 one, by the way) :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for your kind words too!
robg
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Rob

Post by robg » 1 person likes this post

No harm, I'm not really offended by it, I know that I can find snarkiness at any community made up of tech people. I was just a little surprised that it had the Veeam logo attached to it. Keep it up, they are very informative posts!
adrien.herve
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Adrien HERVE

Post by adrien.herve » 6 people like this post

The word from Gostev is my only source on monday to deliver fresh news at coffee break and I'm not kidding, always informative yes!
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 » 4 people like this post

I enjoy receiving it every sunday evening also, sometimes Anton really caught stuff I missed during the week, many thanks for doing this.

@Gostev Btw. missed it, but congratulations to your 20.000th post here in the forum!
msergiy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sergiy Moot

Post by msergiy »

Is there a setting to receive The word from Gostev? I'm not getting those.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Check out your subscription settings in the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> "Subscribe to weekly digest of top forum topics" setting. It should be enabled.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

I know this is an ancient thread - but is there a way to view these without being emailed? I am subscribed, but for some reason I didn't get the latest one from this week. I have seen several people mention it, but I don't know how to read it since I never got it for some reason. Maybe due to the board upgrade? I do not see the digest subscription option at all in settings.

Edit: Nevermind, it has been moved to the NOTIFY ME ON POPULAR TOPICS IN: button at the top of every page. Mine was set to true though.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

There is no way to review these digests in the forum board, but let me check with our web team why the digest email was not delivered to your inbox. It may be indeed related to the board upgrade.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just received the reply that the email has successfully been sent and there was no bounce back reply for the digest. I would recommend looking through the spam folder one more time and let's also wait for the next email to confirm the behavior.
Mgamerz
Expert

Post by Mgamerz »

When I search for the terms digest in my email, the only one I have from Veeam is Sep 10 - Sep 16, which is last weeks. I looked through all my folders including spam, but I don't see anything from veeam. And for the most part I don't delete my emails (I'm sure I will regret this later).

It would be nice if the digest could also be posted somewhere, such as a forum thread that is locked to only gostev posts, or if it's an inclusive thing, registered users only or something.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for the feedback! We will see what we can do with an ability to access forums digest via other means of communication.
ACC
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Post by ACC »

I also didnt receive the latest forum digest and the email address used for the digests is whitelisted on the spamfilter. I even checked the raw logfiles of the spamfilter and i didnt find any attempt to deliver the digest.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please wait, it should be delivered (some technical issues we're looking into at the moment).
thorsfall
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Trevor Horsfall

Post by thorsfall » 2 people like this post

I love that it took insulting a Linux box to draw a complaint, even though it was a completely accurate depiction of those forgotten Linux boxes/VMs in the datacenter that the "last guy" installed and no one wants to touch.
BLWL
Enthusiast
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Bjorn L

Post by BLWL » 33 people like this post

I think gostev's newsletter is one of the best things, in the entire industry! The level of insights into behind-the-scenes on Veeam, Microsoft and VMware about specific issues are just phenomenal and unprecedented as far as I have seen. Also, his ability to explain complex matters is very high.

That being said, I can understand that some might think he is a bit direct. Myself I really appreciate the straight shooting and the lack of marketing BS we in IT are usually flooded with.

Keep up the good work! :)
l.vinokur
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Leonid Vinokur

Post by l.vinokur » 2 people like this post

robg wrote: Oct 23, 2016 10:46 pmLinux boxes 10 years or older are still perfectly fine if no one can ever reach them to run exploits.
Robg, you are wrong. This is the kind of thinking that will inevitably get you hacked. You are welcome to ask all the companies / government agencies that have been breached despite an air gap.
We should always attempt to reach a fully patched systems state and when not possible, document the risk and implement complementary security controls.

Gostev, I also think that the forum posts are excellent and learn a lot from them. I don't think you are speaking for Veeam unless you explicitly stated it, so any personal preference are taken into account.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm » 5 people like this post

BLWL, your words hit the bull's eye:
I think gostev's newsletter is one of the best things, in the entire industry! The level of insights into behind-the-scenes on Veeam, Microsoft and VMware about specific issues are just phenomenal and unprecedented as far as I have seen. Also, his ability to explain complex matters is very high.
I look forward to the newsletter every monday morning since a long time and I was sometimes happy about the simple and compact things explained in the newsletter.

Keep up the good work, gostev, absolutely great!
lehbot
Influencer
Full Name: lehbot

Post by lehbot » 2 people like this post

Never stop writing these digests!
davidwatts71
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: David Alexander Watts

Post by davidwatts71 » 3 people like this post

Monday morning, cup of coffee and Gostev's newsletter. i always look forward to reading it :-)
MattFlowers
Novice
Full Name: Mathew Flowers

Post by MattFlowers » 2 people like this post

The worst is when I get in on Monday morning, look through my emails and there isn't a weekly email from Gostev. This has only happened a few times in the past but it is always disappointing when it happens.

Not many things that I look forward to on a Monday morning other than coffee and the word from Gostev.
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik » 1 person likes this post

It'd sure be great if there was a way to read digests outside e-mails as I often delete out-of-date e-mails. On the other hand occassionally it would be very useful to check out old ones (or ones before registering to forums).
Even a read-only subforum would be great if it contained the history of all newsletters.
spencer_rrs
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Spencer Coplin

Post by spencer_rrs » 1 person likes this post

This is a breath of fresh air from a vendor and I'm really liking how he summarizes what we need to know.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover » 2 people like this post

Anton puts a lot of work into the digest. Not just Veeam info, but industry info that is really critical for the technical persona. A very potent post!
Perdesthai
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Perdesthai »

Rick.Vanover wrote: Oct 01, 2018 4:55 pm Anton puts a lot of work into the digest. Not just Veeam info, but industry info that is really critical for the technical persona. A very potent post!
Indeed. I'm no longer working for a Veeam customer but I still consider the digest essential.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

I thought it was impossible to do better than Veeam :D
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Post by aaron@ARB »

I love the digest emails, nothing forward or wrong with them at all, you give the punters what they want, so keep it up!!!
DarrenToews
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Darren Toews

Post by DarrenToews » 1 person likes this post

Agreed with everyone's sentiments! Gostev's digest is the first thing I read every Monday morning, and his presentations are must attend at Veeam-On or any other event where he's presenting.

Shawn, Jason and Matt need to schedule another VeeamLive with Gostev soon!
Mgamerz
Expert

Post by Mgamerz »

I did not get this most recent digest either :/

Please post them here! Or fix why it will not send to some of us. For some reason on sunday I was sent the previous week's one instead. (Sept 30 - I got email for Sept 24-30).
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

@Mgamerz - there was one week without one - but if you got the scoop RE: WS2019 in the one on 30-September - then you are up to date.

If in doubt, add an email alias just for digest :)