Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adrianIDC
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Re: Notification only Backup Job

Post by adrianIDC »

v.Eremin wrote:What if you uncheck email notifications for all, but one job?
Hi Erenim, thanks for you support.

I configured backup job on the machine that option in Setting but... I think the rest will continue to be alerted backup job in Options- as -Email Notifications is enabled ( if not activated will not let set in the Storage tab)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Basically, custom job settings should override the global ones, however currently this does not work so and will be addressed in v9.
adrianIDC
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Post by adrianIDC »

foggy wrote:Basically, custom job settings should override the global ones, however currently this does not work so and will be addressed in v9.

thanks Foggy,

it appears that will sweep v9 with v8 differences .
:) :) :)
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Re: Notifications in V8

Post by pufferdude »

Well, I just upgraded to Veeam v9 and guess what? THIS PROBLEM IS STILL NOT FIXED. Why am I not surprised? (for those just coming upon this thread, the short version is that B&R jobs have different notification checkboxes for various types, and UN-checking "notify on success" does not work... you still get an email on success).

It is BEYOND RIDICULOUS that Veeam has been kicking this simple bug down the road for well over a year now, first promising it in a v8 patch, then in the next release. Well, here we are, and it's still broken. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious and it really is fixed, because I'm still getting notified for successful jobs that have "notify on success" UNchecked after upgrading to v9. And Veeam, if you're NOT going to fix this BUG, just remove the option from the UI please instead of making empty promises.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Well crap. Figures I would spout off before trying a few things. Looks like this IS fixed, but you have to open the job and save it again. Thanks, Veeam. Sorry for the rant!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Well double crap. Thought it was fixed, but it's not. For some reason it skipped the notification for the first run after I re-saved the job, so it was a false positive. Can someone from Veeam tell me if this issue is supposed to be fixed in v9, or did it get put-off again?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jim, please check whether e-mail subjects in global and custom (job) notification settings match. The way it works in v9 is as follows: custom job settings override the global ones provided the same sender address and exact same subjects are specified in both places.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks. In my case the subject is exactly the same in the job and global settings: [%JobResult%] %JobName% (%VmCount% VMs) %Issues%

Not sure what you mean by "the same sender address" as you can't change the sender address within the job. And to be clear, I have "notify on success" enabled globally, but want to suppress it for specific jobs. Even if the logic works as you say in v9 (but doesn't seem to for me), the UI is broken as it indicates something that is not true.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Meant recipient address, of course, sorry for confusion. If you specify the same address, subjects do match, you clear the 'Notify on success' check box in the job settings and still get duplicate e-mails for successful jobs, please contact support and provide your case ID here.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Ah, thanks for the clarification. In my case the recipient address in the job is blank (and since it delivered fine to the recipient defined globally, I assumed that was the proper way to use it in case I ever wanted to change the recipient for all jobs). I'll try explicitly setting it and see what happens. By the way, if this works, the person in charge of that UI/Logic should be reprimanded. Completely un-intuitive!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

pufferdude wrote:In my case the recipient address in the job is blank
OK, so this seems to be the real issue. UI should not allow empty recipient address, this is clearly an input validation bug. Because of your settings, per-job settings were simply never used (as there were no recipients to send them to), and the notifications you were getting were still "global" ones, not job-level.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks Anton. That was it, and it makes perfect sense.
svenh
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sven Hartge

[MERGED] Custom notification settings don't seem to work

Post by svenh »

I've tried (nearly) everything, read every forum post and the documentation, but I am not getting the result I am supposed to get, so I return here for help (before I embarrass myself opening a case).

Situation: My global notification settings contain "notify on (success, warning, error)" and this is fine.

But I have two (replication) jobs where I don't need (or want) the success notification, so I switched the settings for those special jobs to "Use custom notification settings", disabled "Notify on success", OKed this, finished the wizard and: Does not work. I still get the notifications every hour.

I even recreated one job, using custom notification settings from the start with "Notify on success" disabled to begin with and still: mail every hour.

Isn't this how this is supposed to work? What (possibly obvious) thing do I not see?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sven, please make sure you're specifying similar address/subject (see above for details).
svenh
Enthusiast

Post by svenh »

I see, the Subject was slightly different.

But, adding to that: this behavior is a bit unintuitive. If I specify "Use custom settings" I expect it to use exactly those settings and not trying to match them with the global ones.

If I can't override those setting, *including* the subject and recipient address, then why have those setting in the dialog to begin with?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Notification system was designed to address different scenarios, including the one where different people are responsible for the entire backup infrastructure and separate jobs. If you specify the same address in both places but subjects are different, you will get the global notifications as well. You can override the subject in case you specify different recipient addresses.
svenh
Enthusiast

Post by svenh »

I get that, but I still stand by my opinion that the current UX here is very counterintuitive and needs a revamp.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Sven, you can use Veeam ONE to get full flexibility of VBR job notifications.