Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Archive Tier: panning and prep

Post by DDIT »

Hi,

We are very keen to start using the Archive Tier feature when it arrives (imminently?). We want to drop tapes in favour of cloud storage.

I have only needed to use standard repositories until now, so am creating a new scale-out repo in advance and a few things have cropped up.
  • Veeam Backup Config: In B&R settings, I have the config backups going to the same repo my servers are backed up to. However, when I attempt to create the new scale-out repo and select the server repo, it complains that the repo is a target for 'Backup Configuration Job' and is not supported by scale-out repos.
  • We use Veeam for Office 365, which has its own repository. However, I would like the O365 backups, to also live in the same cloud storage
In searching the forums for answers, it seems the recommended approach is to configure both jobs above to use a repo that is local to the Veeam B&R server, then backup the server with agent, store that server backup in a scale-out repo, then use Archive Tier from there.

This is fine, except, I just reconfigured my VBO jobs to use a repo on local disk on my physical VBR server, and configured the local agent (free version) to backup the volume where this repo lives (as well as the C drive).

When the agent backup finished, the VBR console did not give an option to restore any application item-level items - I just had options to restore guest files.

I presume this is because I need to upgrade to server edition of Veeam agent, which includes application-aware processing? https://www.veeam.com/agents-windows-linux-pricing.html

Can someone kindly confirm please?

Or are there other clever ways to get these two items into the same cloud storage, alongside the vm backups?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Archive Tier: panning and prep

Post by Polina »

Hi Michael,

There's no integration between VBO and VBR yet, and - you're correct - they use different types of repositories. Also please note, that running both VBO and VBR on the same machine is fine for smaller environments, but for larger ones, it's recommended to install them on different machines.

One of the ways to back up your O365 data to the cloud is to set up an additional cloud-based VBO proxy with an associated repository and configure your backup jobs to this repository. You may also want to review this thread.

As for the VBO backups created with Agent Backup jobs, 1) they do require application-aware processing 2) application-item level restore is not available directly; however, you can use file-level restore (Restore guest files), select Application items on the ribbon to run the required Veeam Explorer and manually mount a database by navigating to the VeeamFLR folder.