Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ravi33
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ravi sankar

Bug on removing the servers from Backup Job

Post by ravi33 »

Techis ,

I found there should be some bug on BR 9.5 U3 .
When ever we remove a server from the backup job , the actual backup files and data is not deleted from the disk even if we have enabled remove delete items data after XX days and even after the retention period is completed .

This is really a very serious issue for a client who runs 1000 of server in a environment to monitor and \delete data manually .

i am not able to see any where in veeam forums and articles that this is a know bug . Trying to found is this really a know bug to veeam and they they are working for it .

Veeam case - 03179694
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Bug on removing the servers from Backup Job

Post by Gostev »

When you say server, do you mean VMware VM?
What makes you think the removed VM data is not deleted from the backup files?
ravi33
Novice

Post by ravi33 »

Hi Gostev ,

Yes VMware VM's , Example I have a job with 5 servers backing daily and client was to decomm a server and from backup end we will remove the server from particular job

After removing the server backup data is not deleted from the disk , It will be exist until unless we delete it manually .

If I expand the disk I can see those servers and files
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Ravi, do you use per-VM backup chains? Then this is a known issue for which hotfix should be available.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer » 1 person likes this post

Correct, we use that hotfix and it works well! Is the hotfix included in 3a?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Judging on the date of this other thread, yes.
ravi33
Novice

Post by ravi33 »

foggy wrote: Sep 14, 2018 4:27 pm Hi Ravi, do you use per-VM backup chains? Then this is a known issue for which hotfix should be available.
Yes we use per-Vm what is the hotfix code , Even I got that a update from support team that it is know issue but they have told it can be fixed on next update and there is no hotfix as of now , Could you please share the fix ID or any KB for that
cb1ocker
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Jeremy Francis

Post by cb1ocker »

I'm running 9.5 U3a and am also seeing some backup files not getting cleaned up after VMs are removed from jobs using per VM backup files and periodic synthetic fulls. I contacted support after seeing this and the other thread and was told this workaround is the only option:
----------
Unfortunately there is no patch, only a workaround, which is to delete the old retention points manually.

You'll need to open the repository, find the old VM restore points, and then manually delete. Only take from the end of the backup chain so as not to break the chain.

After you manually delete those points, then open Veeam, click on Backups>Disk, find the backup job in the list, right click on it and choose "Remove from Configuration".

Then rescan your repository in Backup Infrastructure.

Then go to Backups>Disk (Imported), right click on the job and choose Properties, then right click in the upper left section and choose "Forget>All Unavailable Backups".
----------
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please refer to issues #124606 (for U3) and #140123 (for U3a), support engineers will check applicability of the hotix to your installation. The issue will be addressed in the next update, so no hotfix will be required.
ravi33
Novice

Post by ravi33 »

foggy wrote: Sep 24, 2018 3:04 pm Please refer to issues #124606 (for U3) and #140123 (for U3a), support engineers will check applicability of the hotix to your installation. The issue will be addressed in the next update, so no hotfix will be required.
Could you please share me the link to view the issues 124606 and 140123 , I am not able to find the details
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You are not able to view them, please refer to these issue IDs while speaking with your support engineer regarding the hotfix.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

[MERGED] Old VMs not being deleted from backup

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

case # 03281453.

Although we have enabled 'remove deleted items data after...' in our backup job and set it to 3 days I'm still getting a message during the backup that '<VM> no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.'. We have enabled sysnthetic fulls (on ReFS) with transform disabled. We also have per VM backup chains enabled.

According to support I need to enable 'transform' in order to have the old V's being removed from the backup.

I have two questions about this:

- it’s still not clear to me why I have to enable transforms. We have per VM backup chains enabled, so I don’t get it why retention isn’t working without enabling 'transform'. It’s just a matter of deleting the backup chain for that specific VM.
- if this option is really dependent of ‘transform’ then why am I able to select ‘remove deleted items after…’. If it is, then it should be greyed out when 'transform' isn’t enabled.

Franc.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Old VMs not being deleted from backup

Post by ejenner »

Do you still get the problem if you implement your preferred configuration on a totally new job rather than one which was edited. I'm just thinking Veeam does not delete data that has been disassociated with a backup in case that was unintentional. Orphaned data if you like. Which is what you'd expect. The retention policy is possibly only applying to files which are part of a current configuration. As you edited the job definition you may have created orphaned data which Veeam isn't going to delete. I'm not sure this is the case, offering a branch of thought which might help you move forward.

Try the same with a completely new job and see if the same thing happens.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Re: Old VMs not being deleted from backup

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

Thanks fro the reply.

I haven't edited the job. I noticed it that VM's that were removed from the infrastructure long ago aren't removed from the backup.

It's not the retention policy I'm talking about, but the setting to 'remove deleted items after...' under storage -> advanced -> maintenance.

Support just confirmed it to be indeed a known issue:

'This is due to incorrect logic that will be fixed in upcoming releases. As the support engineer noted, unfortunately, there are no hotfixes for this issue, so the way to fix it would be removing old chains manually.'

Franc
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Franc, please review the thread above - there might be a hotfix applicable to your situation. Please let your engineer check. Thanks!