Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KTHP

'Datastore usage on disk' Alarm in VMware for Veeam Proxy

Post by kayvonp@re-wa.org »

I am getting a strange error for one of my Veeam proxies. I don't completely understand it.

In VMware, I have two datastores that were created by Veeam -- one for my Veeam server and one for a backup proxy. I have a second backup proxy that does not have a datastore, though to my knowledge the two proxies are identical. I don't understand what these datastores do -- can anyone explain?

The error I get is for used space on the datastore for the proxy. It has reached >75% used. The one for my Veeam server, however, is only using about .5% of its space.

I tried searching online for the error, but all I found was errors about space filling up on the actual backup drives. These datastores aren't where backups are stored, but rather datastores created by Veeam in VMware.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: 'Datastore usage on disk' Alarm in VMware for Veeam Proxy

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I can't see it very clear from my side of the screen, but I think that those must be NFS datastores that are in fact vPower NFS shares. Does it look any similar to this picture? If yes, then I would check if there are any rouge Instant Restore or SureBackup VMs running in your environment.

Thanks!
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer

It does look like that but I have no jobs running.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Have you checked what occupies the space on the datastores? If there is nothing on the actual datastore, then I would suggest to check it from the NFS server side, maybe something is taking up storage space on the disk where your NFS folder resides.

Thanks!
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer

I browsed it in VSphere and it appears empty.

"I would suggest to check it from the NFS server side, maybe something is taking up storage space on the disk where your NFS folder resides."

How do I go about this? I scanned the disk on the proxy server itself and didn't find anything. Is it located elsewhere?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You should check disks on the servers that have been assigned "Mount server" roles. When you setup a repository you are offered to choose where your mount server should reside, and where write cache location should be (default value is C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore). You need to review your settings and check how much space those location have.

Thanks!
kayvonp@re-wa.org
Influencer

That's kinda what I thought it was, but this particular server isn't used as a mount server for anything. It's only used as a proxy. The server that does act as a mount server is clear.

I do have a C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore folder on that server, but it is empty.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Then, if the disk where the NfsDatatores directories reside at are not in shortage of space, please contact our support team directly so they can dig into the problem, because the described behaviour does not look expected. Once you do please post your case ID here for future reference.

Thanks!