Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sunking989
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Hofreiter

Cloud Connect Setup To AWS - Initially For Backup Storage - Eventually For Cloud Instantiation

Post by sunking989 »

Would like to setup Cloud Connect to AWS to allow for backup data to be stored in AWS Cloud. Eventually, we would like to be able to instantiate VM's in the cloud using this data. Is there any setup guide that can help me with this or does someone have suggestions in how to proceed.

Thank you in advance!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Cloud Connect Setup To AWS - Initially For Backup Storage - Eventually For Cloud Instantiation

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi David,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting your query!

Could you please take a look at this topic and let us know if this is what you are looking for. Thanks.
sunking989
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Hofreiter

Re: Cloud Connect Setup To AWS - Initially For Backup Storage - Eventually For Cloud Instantiation

Post by sunking989 »

Thank you for the response! This does help but what it is pointing out is that this functionality does not yet exist for recovering VM's in AWS EC2 today but it does exist for Azure.

An additional question...If I setup Cloud Connect to replicate the repository to AWS would I be able to leverage that data in AWS to recover in the cloud when the functionality becomes available or will we need to "reseed" that data? In other words...if I use Cloud Connect today can I recover in the cloud using that data tomorrow?

Also, is there a good document that outlines setting up Cloud Connect to AWS for repository replication?

Thanks again!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi David,

Thanks for replying.

Cloud Connect feature allows you to replicate/backup/restore your workloads to a cloud vendor environment (that might be hosted anywhere). It's a separated functionality from Restore to AWS/Azure (Restore to AWS will be available in the next B&R update, while Restore to Azure is already available for customers). You can utilize Cloud Connect already now to get benefits of DR as a service. You may also want to take a look at the Cloud Connect Backup Copy functionality.

If you'd like to get more information on Cloud Connect configuration procedure please take a look at the following guide.

Speaking about Restore to AWS that acts more like a self-service in comparison with Cloud Connect that is like a managed service, we'll make all the documentation available once the functionality will be ready.

Please let us know if more questions arise.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If I setup Cloud Connect to replicate the repository to AWS would I be able to leverage that data in AWS to recover in the cloud when the functionality becomes available or will we need to "reseed" that data?
Yes, you will be able to that. However, a separate backup console deployed in AWS will be needed in this case, as we don't allow importing backups to SP's backup server.
In other words...if I use Cloud Connect today can I recover in the cloud using that data tomorrow?
Yes, you will be able to do that.
Also, is there a good document that outlines setting up Cloud Connect to AWS for repository replication?
There is nothing specific in setting up CC in AWS environment. Just follow the recommendations given in this guide.

However, if you're not planning to become SP, there is no need to stick to Cloud Connect. You can just deploy repository server in AWS and connect it to your local backup server, using VPN solution of your choice (either one provided by AWS or one provided by us - Veeam PN).

Thanks!