Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Task failed unexpectly

Post by fafa24 »

Hello

I have a problem since a few weeks sporadically to backup a Windows 10 computer with Veeam Agent for Windows 2.2.

Backup starts and stays without any progress shown in the restore point details window. If I cancel the backup it takes forever - actually never stops - until I reboot the computer. The computer doesn't reboot properly. I have to turn it off. After that I see just two entries in the restore point details window. "Task failed unexpectly and Processed finished with errors"

After I restart the computer and I start the backup again it process without any problem. Data repository is a Veeam Replication server with a RDX drive. I do backup other computers to the same repository without a problem.

As you know backup should run smothly :) so I like to fix it. I tried to deinstall and reinstall the Agent without any success yet.

Any hint?

Thanks
Fafa24
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Task failed unexpectly

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Do you have any errors in the Windows Event log at the same time when backup job kicks in? Anything related to VSS is the first suspect.

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

fafa24,

Additionally, please provide the screenshot of this error via any file or image hosting (you can PM me the download link). Thank you in advance.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Sorry only saw your reply now. I got no notification..

There is indeed a problem with VSS. Here are the log entries from event viewer in the order as the appear. The first one is a information showing that the job starts

Code: Select all

- Process C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe (process ID:4184) reset policy scheme from {eb40421b-7b88-4ed1-8aa1-2f71d8b6a801} to {eb40421b-7b88-4ed1-8aa1-2f71d8b6a801
- A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Modules Installer service to connect.
- The Windows Modules Installer service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
- DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service TrustedInstaller with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED
- The server {0823B6F8-F499-4D5E-B885-EA9CB4F43B24} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
-A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Volume Shadow Copy service to connect.
-The Volume Shadow Copy service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
-DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service VSS with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{E579AB5F-1CC4-44B4-BED9-DE0991FF0623}
- A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service to connect.
- The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service failed to start due to the following error: 
- DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service swprv with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{65EE1DBA-8FF4-4A58-AC1C-3470EE2F376A}
-Unable to start a DCOM Server: {417976B7-917D-4F1E-8F14-C18FCCB0B3A8}. The error:
"0"
Happened while starting this command:
C:\Windows\System32\coredpussvr.exe -Embedding
These are the problem I see in the logs. The Veeam backup runs forever and there is no entry in the agent details. I can only stop it by reboooting computer. Interesting is: when I run the job manually it works, looks like scheduled has an issue

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

fafa24,

Entire debug log analysis is required, so please open a case via Veeam Agent for Windows Control Panel > Support > Technical Support (it's free) and share the case ID for future reference. Thank you in advance.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 » 1 person likes this post

Case id: 03297024.

I just opened a case. I use the Veeam agent free edition for Windows