Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Natthaphol
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Natthaphol Suntudkarn

Step by Step Installation and Configuration Veeam Agent for Windows with Tape Support

Post by Natthaphol »

Hi,

I am very new on Veeam Agent for Windows. Please kindly advise the steps to Installation and Configuration of Veeam Agent for Windows with HPE LTO6 Single Tape Drive on Windows Server 2016 Active Directory/File Server Roles.

Thank you
Natthaphol
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Step by Step Installation and Configuration Veeam Agent for Windows with Tape Support

Post by wishr »

Hi Natthaphol,

We offer a set of guidelines on the official Veeam Portal. You can use search at the top right corner to find relevant topics in the guideline. Please take a look and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks
Natthaphol
Influencer

Re: Step by Step Installation and Configuration Veeam Agent for Windows with Tape Support

Post by Natthaphol »

Yes, I have seen it.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the steps of Tape or Tape Driver installation on Server installed with Veeam Agent for Windows operate in stand-alone mode. Refer to 'Installation and Configuration' https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21 and "Archiving Veeam Agent Backups to Tape' https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21 cannot find the steps.

Kindly advise how to install and verify the LTO Tape working properly with Veeam Agent for Windows operate in stand-alone mode.

Thanks,
Natthaphol.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Natthaphol,

First of all, I should mention that you require a B&R server to be able to create Backup to Tape jobs for Backups made by Agents. Here you can check for the differences in Tape support between different B&R licenses.

Then you have to connect the Tape Library, install tape drivers, media charger. Please reach out to HPE for assistance with that task.

Once done you should add tape server to B&R, then simply follow this guideline. Additional information on the general aspects of the Veeam Tape Support is here.

Also, you might want to take a look at that blog post.

Hope this helps.
Natthaphol
Influencer

Post by Natthaphol »

Dear Wishr,

Thank you for your reply and information.

Do I need B&R license in order to use the Tape Server to be added to B&R Server.?

Can B&R Server+ Repository and Tape Server and Veeam Agent for Windows be able to install on the same server with AD and File Server Role?

So, Steps should be:
1. Install B&R with Tape Server and Repository on Windows Server
2. Install Tape Server and Tape Driver on the same Windows Server
3. Install Veeam Agent for Windows Server on the same Windows Server
4. Create Veeam Agent for Windows Server Backup Job with a designation to Repository managed by B&R.
5. Create Backup to Tape Job from B&R to 'copy' the Backup the job from Veeam Agent for Windows to Tape.

If I miss anything, kindly advise.

Thanks,
Natthaphol.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Natthaphol,
Do I need B&R license in order to use the Tape Server to be added to B&R Server.?
Backup to tape require license while file to tape job can be used in Free edition of Veeam B&R.
Can B&R Server+ Repository and Tape Server and Veeam Agent for Windows be able to install on the same server with AD and File Server Role?
Yes, but that's not recommended as you keep the source files and backup files within the same server (if anything goes wrong you will lose production files and your disk backups).
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

No, you do not have to purchase a B&R license in order to add a Tape Server, however, Backup to Tape feature is a part of the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions that do offer a wider range of capabilities for managing and restoring data stored on Tapes. Please refer to the editions comparison in my post above for more information.

Free B&R capabilities in regards to Tapes Management are described here. The only File to Tapes job type is supported and you are only allowed to restore VMs from Tapes that have been backed up with Backup to Tape jobs available in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus B&R versions (for example, if you previously had an Enterprise or Enterprise Plus license).

Speaking about installing B&R and related components on a single server - it's supported, but is considered as not the best practice, especially for production environments: imagine a server failure and please do not forget about 3-2-1 rule.

In general, your understanding of the process is correct, but please think twice about the single server deployment. Personally, I don't recommend following this way, because risk awareness is a key when building a resilient backup infrastructure, but of course, it's up to you and your corporate policies.

Please refer to our Best Practices portal if you'd like to dive deeper into the deployment aspects and prerequisites.

One more side note: Veeam Agent can be deployed using B&R Agent Management capabilities.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Natthaphol
Influencer

Post by Natthaphol »

Understand your point relate to 3-2-1 rule.

"Backup to tape require license while file to tape job can be used in Free edition of Veeam B&R."

In my case, we have a Veeam Agent for Windows Server License, can we used with the all-in-one configuration describe.

The agent is using for Physical Server, no VM here in this environment.

Understand your point of and thank you for your recommendation, So Sorry I did not design this [so very disappoint], I will ask the customer to create the Repository and Tape Server on another Windows Server.

So the Architecture will looks like this:
1. B&R with Veeam Agent for Windows on AD and File Server to Protect
2. Repository and Tape Server on another Windows Server connect with TAPE

So, Steps should be:
1. Install B&R with Veeam Agent for Windows on Windows Server AD and File Server that needs to be protected.
2. Install Tape Server/Tape Driver and Repository on another Windows Server.
3. Add Repository and Tape Server to B&R
4. Create Veeam Agent for Windows Server Backup Job with a designation to Repository managed by B&R.
5. Create Backup to Tape Job from B&R to 'copy' the Backup the job from Veeam Agent for Windows to Tape.

Kindly confirm.

Thanks for you help,
Natthaphol.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Natthaphol,

Sounds good.
Create Backup to Tape Job from B&R to 'copy' the Backup the job from Veeam Agent for Windows to Tape
Check the source agent job 'backup mode': if agent is running in forever forward incremental backup mode you need to select the day for synthesized full backup on tape (in backup to tape job properties, full backup step, schedule button). Cheers!
Natthaphol
Influencer

Post by Natthaphol »

So, the Architecture and steps OK?

Thanks,
Natthaphol.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Natthaphol,

In general, it looks fine... Of course, ideally, you have to at least separate B&R server from all the rest components and also store backup configuration somewhere else.

Btw, is it clear that you require a paid license for B&R in order to leverage Backup to Tape?

In simple words the process looks like that:
1. Backup the Machine using Agent (no license is required);
2. Create a Backup to Tape once the rest configurations are done that will move the Backup made by Agent to Tape storage (this operation requires at least Enterprise license or higher for B&R) as mentioned above in our guidelines.

Regards,
Fedor
Natthaphol
Influencer

Post by Natthaphol »

Just confuse this means, Do I need 1 License of B&R Enterprise and 1 License for Veeam Agent for Windows Server for this architecture?

1. B&R with Veeam Agent for Windows on AD and File Server to Protect. Using Veeam Agent for Windows License.
2. Repository and Tape Server on another Windows Server connect with TAPE. Using Veeam Backup and Replication License

If it all-in-one, Do I still need 1 License of B&R Enterprise and 1 License for Veeam Agent for Windows Server for this all-in-one architecture?

All-in-one
B&R and Repository and Tape Server and Veeam Agent for Windows on the same Windows Server.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Natthaphol.
Natthaphol
Influencer

Post by Natthaphol »

Please note that we are talking about all physical server no VMs in this environment.

Thanks,
Natthaphol.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Basically, if you'd like to use the Backup to Tape feature (allowing you to move any backups including those made by Veeam Agents to Tapes) of Veeam Backup and Replication product then you require to upload at least Enterprise license using the Veeam Backup and Replication Console UI. Veeam Agent and Veeam B&R are licensed separately and the backup infrastructure design (separated or all-in-one) does not have any impact on the number of required licenses.

I would recommend taking a look at this thread and the links above in order to understand the difference between File to Tape (does not require a paid license) and Backup to Tape (requires at least Enterprise license).

Also, is there any particular reason to install Veeam B&R server on the Agent computer?

I would prefer the following setup:
1. Veeam Agent protecting your workload and writing backups to B&R repository;
2. A separate machine hosting all the B&R components (Server, Console, Proxy, Repository) - could be also protected by another Agent and this backup can go to the USB drive (see below);
3. A separate machine hosting Tape Server (could be located on the same host as B&R, but please keep in mind the associated risks);
4. Some additional USB drive or anything else (attached share, etc.) residing at another host (additional Repository) storing a copy of your Configuration Backup - just in case of a disaster.

But of course, it's up to you what backup infrastructure design is better for your needs. I would recommend you to have a deep dive into our documentation and best practices portal.

Thanks