Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dbr
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directory

Post by dbr »

Hi folks,

while I was collecting some logs for support via V&R Console running on my laptop I noticed that the system partition of our Veeam backup server ran out of space. After checking the Veeam server I noticed that Veeam obviously caches data in temp folder of the account that is running the backup service (e.g. C:\Users\veeam_svc\AppData\Local\Temp\VeeamLogs_2139896eeaee4d4f9fb10fbf615d109f\2017-04-10T101833_VeeamBackupLogs) when collecting log files. If I collect log files via a console running on Backup Server directly it is not cached in temp folder but rather cached in the log directory directly. I couldn't find any hint in documentation or forum that log is cached in service account temp folder when not using console on backup server.

Ok, you should always have enough free space on system partition but we have quite extensive logs and I wouldn't have expected that creating logs files fills up a disk with serveral gigs of free space.

I would suggest a hint when collecting log files via remote console (perhaps when starting log collection dialog) and/or redirect log caching via reg key.

Daniel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directo

Post by veremin »

You can use hints provided in this KB article to change log collection directory, is that something you're looking for?
dbr
Expert
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Re: Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directo

Post by dbr »

No, I know these reg keys but I guess they are for logs in a running environment only. Temp folder in service user profile is used when collecting support logs via remote console. We use a script to delete logs to keep the amount of logs small instead of setting regs because the provided settings don't fit our needs. That given the overall amount of logs isn't much high anymore but still severals gigs. Workaround would be only collecting support logs via local console on Veeam server cause logs are cached in a subfolder of the directory provided as target directory in support information dialog (which can be on a different drive) instead of using service account temp folder on system drive. And a hint in support information dialog or a reg key to redirect log collection in case of using remote console would be nice...
AUmonroe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: AUmonroe

[MERGED] Exporting Logs Fail with Warning

Post by AUmonroe »

Trying to collect logs to open a support case and when exporting the logs I get an error
Log Export Completed with some warnings, Destination Path is too long (and goes on to list a very long path c:\windows\temp\blah blah blah)

I need logs to open a case, I don't wanna have to open a case to get the logs.. so I can open a case. :lol:
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Re: Exporting Logs Fail with Warning

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Hi,

Have you tried to change the "Path to folder"?
AUmonroe
Influencer
Full Name: AUmonroe

Post by AUmonroe »

yes, tried to export to root of drive.. didn't help.
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Log Export Completed with some warnings
Do you have any logs being generated, eventually?
yes, tried to export to root of drive.. didn't help.
What was the error message after you had changed the Path?
Unreliably-Recurring
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by Unreliably-Recurring » 1 person likes this post

For those who come across this error & discussion post:
It doesn't matter where the user tells the B&R console to save the export- the problem is at the accumulation of the logs in a temporary path before the Console then zips them and saves the ZIP to the path the user specified.

The Support Engineer on my case about this (ID# 03418872) replied this weekend:
"I've just found that we already received a similar case before, and our RND team is working on it.
Currently, we are waiting for a response from RND team.
".
bhnelson
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Nelson

Post by bhnelson » 1 person likes this post

Me too. Ran into this today on 9.5 U4a. :roll:

For anyone else, you can manually find the log bundle somewhere along the path listed in the message, but it'll be missing the 'too long' items listed as warnings. In my case the bundle was about 99% complete and I didn't care about the missing items.
jfuller
Lurker
Full Name: Jesse Fuller

Post by jfuller »

I am having this same issue on 9.5 U4... I wonder when it will be patched.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Jesse, currently we cannot provide any particular ETA for this fix. Thanks!
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

What is the status of this?

We are running v10, and still not able to export logs in certain cases.
I've confirmed on the server in the temp folder, that I am able to create above 255 chars with PowerShell that supports this.
(Not that File Explorer does not support this, crazy...)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No news to share regarding this issue, unfortunately. Are you exporting logs on a standalone Veeam B&R console or on the Veeam B&R server itself? If it is the former, then try switching to the local export on the backup server itself.
cfizz34
Expert
Full Name: Chad

Post by cfizz34 »

Have you applied the latest update? 10.0.0.4461 P1
spiritie
Service Provider
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

foggy wrote: May 15, 2020 4:42 pm No news to share regarding this issue, unfortunately. Are you exporting logs on a standalone Veeam B&R console or on the Veeam B&R server itself? If it is the former, then try switching to the local export on the backup server itself.
Hi Foggy,

It's on the local VBR server itself. The warning/error I am getting is in the temp path that Veeam uses under C:\Window\Temp\ (if I remember that path correctly),
even though we have changed our log dir to D:\VeeamLogs\. In my opinion the log export should be respected by the custom path set from registry.

Please note that another improvement that could be made is that VBR should clean up these files upon failing.
I found around 25 GB of log files in the C:\Window\Temp\ dir because of the different fails we'd gotten through the time.

We are on the latest P1 patch.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Before being copied to the folder specified by the user, the logs are collected and archived in the temp path, that's why you're getting the warnings referring to it. Also, I believe it fails only for those files that have the path length exceeding the maximum value. The package itself is created successfully and contains all the other files and can be used for its purpose - that's why it is not deleted entirely.
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Re: Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directory

Post by ChrisGundry »

+1 for this old request. We are trying to export logs via remote console and are running into 'path too long' errors. If we could remove C:\Users\veeam_svc\AppData\Local\Temp\ from the path and replace with C:\VeeamLogs or C:\Temp the path might be short enough.

In addition, can Veeam come up with something better than this long GUID? C:\Users\veeam_svc\AppData\Local\Temp\VeeamLogs_2139896eeaee4d4f9fb10fbf615d109f\. It makes the path a lot longer than it needs to be. There was an issue with this exact same issue in VeeamONE VID which prevented log gathering, which was then later fixed by greatly reducing the length of these strings. Can you do the same in B&R please?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback. Valid comments, we will look into possible options to reduce the file path length.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 » 1 person likes this post

Ran into this issue in the latest version of V10. Quiet frustrating to have an issue while you submit a ticket for an issue :(
pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 72 times

Post by pirx » 2 people like this post

There seems to be a task that automatic creates a daily Log Export at 07:00. At least that is what I see in History -> System. This creates logs in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\VID\427 (number changing). This filled up the system C drive with 30GB of logs today (which was not deleted). The regkey for LogDirectory is already set to the E: drive.

1. what task triggers daily log export? It's initiated by the service user Veeam runs as at 07:00.
2. can Veeam please change the location for the creation of (temp) logs (I'm not sure if those are temp files as there are not removed) or make it configurable?
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ibarizz »

Are there any plans to provide a solution for this? Just by changing the location for the creation of temp logs would be really appreciated! or at least make it configurable.
Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Veeam Backup and Replication should not export support logs automatically by itself.
It could be Veeam ONE agent collecting information about backup infrastructure(Veeam Intelligent Diagnostics based on the path) - so if you have a monitoring server, try changing a service account that is used to connect to VBR, to clearly distinguish Export Logs activity triggered by monitoring server.

Both requests (to make Veeam ONE Export Logs activity clearly distinguishable from one triggered by backup administrator + Temp Logs location configuration) are absolutely valid and are on the track for future versions.

p.s. Veeam ONE team claims that log cleanup is implemented and should not take that much space in normal conditions. Worth opening a support ticket!