Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
wilsonb05
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bailey Wilson

Backing up a cluster and standalone hosts

Post by wilsonb05 »

A few quick questions one of our customers is wanting to backup there hyper v cluster and also some stand alone hosts that are outside the cluster. In terms of a proxy do they need a proxy for the cluster and one to do the stand-alone hosts or will one proxy be enough for both. Also does the proxy need to be part of the cluster ?

The next question is they want to do all the backup traffic on there storage network , this wouldn't be a problem apart from the cluster only has a production IP address is it possible to give the cluster another IP on a different range ?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backing up a cluster and standalone hosts

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Bailey and welcome to the community!
2 proxies are not needed unless you want to backup the hosts and cluster in parallel. Check how much time each backup job takes and see if proxy is a bottleneck at all.
As for the traffic, yes you can give the cluster another IP. Do you want to route traffic from the cluster to backup proxy?
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you plan to backup a cluster using off-host mode, you need a proxy on a host that is not a part of a cluster (could be one of your standalone hosts).
wilsonb05
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bailey Wilson

Post by wilsonb05 »

Hi all, thanks for the replies that really helped. I have just realised if I add the repository using its storage network ip it will force the proxy to send the traffic across the storage network (in theory)
I will give this all a try and feedback.

Cheers