Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
WDPeelus
Lurker
Liked: never

Replicating from Replica to Source?

Post by WDPeelus »

I'm in the process of planning / documenting our failover and failback approach when using Veeam Replicas. I'm trying to avoid using the option 'Failback to Production' because it makes it difficult to schedule a downtime Window. For example

If I failover to DR and the VMs sit in DR for 1 week, the amount of data that would have to be moved when replicating back to production would be quite large. Using fail back to production there is no easy way to gauge how long this replication would take and no easy way to schedule the downtime of each VM replicated back. Instead it would be better to perform an initial replication without shutting down the DR vms, and then perform a failback as the window becomes a little more predictable (and much smaller).

Is there anyway I can achieve something close to the above?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Replicating from Replica to Source?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
If I failover to DR and the VMs sit in DR for 1 week<...>
In case you expect the VMs work on DR for 1 week, I'd suggest to perform permanent failover. Once you are ready to move the VMs back to the main site, you can use replica mapping.

Thanks!
WDPeelus
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Replicating from Replica to Source?

Post by WDPeelus »

Thanks for that - I thought that might be the answer but just wanted to double check.