Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

SureBackup Sql Server, error code 6

Post by Fiskepudding » 1 person likes this post

This is already solved with a workaround (removing offline databases) but would just like to add this to the forms if anyone else gets this error.

I have been scratching my head for a while now with surebackup failing on SQL server, and opened a ticket (Case # 01846817).
Just confirmed that the SQL-VM's that are failing our surebackup with error 6 all had offline databases.
This was no problem with previous version of veeam who "just" used the Veeam.Backup.ConnectionTester.exe to test connectivity to port 1433.
But after the introduction of Veeam.Backup.SqlChecker.vbs this causes the application script to fail.

Detaching the DB’s OR bringing them online again (and backing up again) will make surebackup return a scucess for that SQL server.

However it is not that important to have the DB's offline, but sometimes, it can be practical.
Meaning that the following surebackup will fail.

I would like to see that surebackup did not FAIL on offline databases, because that is their state also in production.
So the result is expected. Off cause since I now know this, I could make custom versions of Veeam.Backup.SqlChecker.vbs for the servers with offline databases and skip checking these databases, but that means “micro managing”.
However i would say that if the databae is offline the script should just ignore it. At least not throw an error. Because you are not able/supposed to connect to the DB even in production.

I don't know what Veeam view on this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup Sql Server, error code 6

Post by foggy »

Hi Espen, thanks for this feedback, we will submit a task to update the script to prevent failures on offline databases.
fja
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by fja »

Nice post - just got same issue after upgrading - and deleting databases now. Please FIX as soon as possible!!
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

Has anyone tested if this is solved in Veeam 9.5?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The script has not been updated yet.
GopherSportIT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Peterson

Post by GopherSportIT »

I was getting this error as well and we don't have any offline databases on the SQL server we were attempting to restore using SureBackup. We're running Veeam 9.5 update 3.

I was able to fix this issue by extending the "Application initialization timeout" setting from 120 seconds to 240 seconds. This setting is located in the SQL Server's VM Options (select VM and click Edit...) when configuring the Application Group under SureBackup.

After making that change, the test script ran successfully. If the database or SQL Server Service on the restored VM hasn't had a chance to fully initialize, it would mimic an offline database issue.

I hope that can help someone else!
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

foggy wrote: Jul 14, 2016 4:26 pm Hi Espen, thanks for this feedback, we will submit a task to update the script to prevent failures on offline databases.
Has this been solved?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ole, yes, this should be included in Veeam B&R 9.5 U4.
Timeslice
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: S Harding

Post by Timeslice »

You indicated a fix "should" be included.

Foggy, can you confirm the fix for handling offline database files will definitely be included in U4?
My understanding from support on my open case 03350192 is that U4 is due toward the end of January 2019.

You indicated the fix "should" be included in U4.
Since this is just a .vbs script file, would it be possible to simply provide us with the updated .vbs file so that we can test this prior to the release of U4?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is there. And since U4 is already in RTM stage, you can contact technical support and request early access. Thanks!