Full Name: Sven Hannisch

Replication fails after installing Update 4

Post by hannisch »

Hi all
since installing Update4 the replication Job Fails. I got this message:

Code: Select all

09.01.2019 03:20:15 :: Job started at 09.01.2019 03:20:13  
09.01.2019 03:20:16 :: Building list of machines to process  
09.01.2019 03:20:21 :: Virtual Machine XXX is unavailable and will be skipped from processing.  
09.01.2019 03:20:21 :: Virtual Machine YYY is unavailable and will be skipped from processing.  
09.01.2019 03:20:21 :: Virtual Machine ZZZ is unavailable and will be skipped from processing.  
09.01.2019 03:20:21 :: Job finished with error at 09.01.2019 03:20:21  
The 3 vm are old VM which were replaced a few weeks ago and they are not in the joblist anymore.

Any idea ?

b/r
Sven
ID# 03353248
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Replication fails after installing Update 4

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Sven,

I think this issue isn't related to the update.

Can you clarify how these VMs were added to the job as a container or explicitly?
You should re-add replaced VMs to the replication job once again and re-map it to the replica chain. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Keep in mind that all existing restore points will be removed after replica mapping procedure.
CSSensus
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Stefan

Post by CSSensus »

I am seeing this same error in backup jobs also. Items that have been gone for a very long time, and also items that are excluded.

1/10/2019 7:53:52 AM :: Virtual Machine XXX is unavailable and will be skipped from processing. - This VM is excluded and throws the error.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

CSSensus wrote:Items that have been gone for a very long time, and also items that are excluded.
Can you please check if these VMs are still present in the backup files?
CSSensus
Influencer

Post by CSSensus »

I spot checked a few, they do not exist in my backups any longer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If there are no existing backups of these VMs, and these VMs are excluded (not part of the job), then please reach out to our support team to analyze where this message comes from.
hannisch
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by hannisch »

CSSensus wrote: Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm I am seeing this same error in backup jobs also. Items that have been gone for a very long time, and also items that are excluded.

1/10/2019 7:53:52 AM :: Virtual Machine XXX is unavailable and will be skipped from processing. - This VM is excluded and throws the error.
the same at my replication Jobs. Replacing on my first post meant deleting the old vm from Job and replica and add a new vm with the same name. All vm in the joblist succeds. But at the end I got a failure regarding the old deleted vm.

DGrinev wrote: Jan 09, 2019 2:24 pm
Hi Sven,

I think this issue isn't related to the update.

Can you clarify how these VMs were added to the job as a container or explicitly?
You should re-add replaced VMs to the replication job once again and re-map it to the replica chain. Thanks!
Regarding your post and the supporter question: I checked the exclusion list. The list is emty. All vm in the Job are added as vm from a vc.
I think the error is related to the update. It worked for weeks, without changing the Job and after update, I got the fail message.

b/r

Sven
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Anyone who is experiencing this issue and which does not relate to adding and removing VMs from the virtual infrastructure, please post your case ID as a reference to the support ticket. This would help us to escalate this issue within the R&D team. Thank you!
hannisch
Enthusiast

Post by hannisch »

You find my ticket ID at the end of the 1st post.
Regarding the issue I checked the dbo.ObjectsInJobs and found this 3 vm. The type is 4 instead of 0 like the active vm in Job. Maybe this Information helps. Can you clarify what Type=4 means.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

So, the reason for this issue looks to be the fact that these VMs are still referenced in the advanced application aware processing settings. According to one of the support case notes, removing these obsolete entries from the list of objects there makes the issue go away.
hannisch
Enthusiast

Post by hannisch »

thanks for the Information, but how can I remove them? I see only one of them in the Application-Aware processing Options list, and the remove button greyed out. And what is about the Type=4 entries in dbo.ObjectsInJobs, can I ignore them ?

b/r

Sven
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks like VMs with this type can have replica mapping configured and/or alternative destination settings. I would check the former, chances are the rest of the affected VMs are mentioned there.
RRastopshin
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Roman Rastopshin

Post by RRastopshin »

hannisch wrote: Jan 14, 2019 7:00 am thanks for the Information, but how can I remove them? I see only one of them in the Application-Aware processing Options list, and the remove button greyed out. And what is about the Type=4 entries in dbo.ObjectsInJobs, can I ignore them ?
Hello,
please check not only Application-Aware processing Options list, but also Guest file system indexing (Indexing...) and guest OS credentials (Credentials...) Options lists. I assume you will find them (old machines) there.

p.s. there is Guest file system indexing only for backups (not for replicas), guest OS credentials for both
CSSensus
Influencer

Post by CSSensus » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy S. wrote: Jan 10, 2019 3:19 pm If there are no existing backups of these VMs, and these VMs are excluded (not part of the job), then please reach out to our support team to analyze where this message comes from.
I removed the exclusions from these no longer existing machines and the errors are gone.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

CSSensus wrote: Jan 14, 2019 3:55 pmI removed the exclusions from these no longer existing machines and the errors are gone.
Great, thank you so much for reporting the solution.
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw »

Strangely, I updated one of our development instances yesterday to update 4, and the replication jobs were failing with similar messages, and again, it was the VM exclusions that were causing the issues.

In our case I had completely forgotten about the VM exclusions - presumably because the VMs being excluded did not exist any more.
I guess prior to update 4, VMs that were not present that had been previously excluded were simply ignored by the replication job?
Also strangely I saw the replica VM on the target existing in two places - one under the replica folder on the target and another in the Discovered virtual machine folder - which does not make sense.

As this specific Veeam instance is for our development workloads, I have completely removed the target replicas from both the storage and from within Veeam and am now rerunning the replication to see if I can get a clean run through (this will take several hours).

It definitely sounds like there is some sort of regression bug/change in behavior that has been introduced with update 4 specifically concerning replicas.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it's a bug which affects all advanced places where you can specify VMs for whatever reason. Where previously those zombie VMs were just ignored, now they cause errors. We decided to fix this bug and create an updated build for GA, because the fix is very simple - but this regression may affect many customers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This issue has been fixed in the GA build.

You can either uninstall the RTM build and install the GA build while pointing setup into the same configuration database - or what for a few days until Day 0 patch is available, this will do an in-place upgrade of your installation to the GA build.

Thanks!
anthony.njoroge
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony N. Njoroge

Post by anthony.njoroge »

I've heard several issues. What i did was delete the jobs and recreated them (linking them back to the backups and relplicas already done and the jobs ran smoothly after that.

Probably a bug in update 4 they need to fix.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Anthony, for every technical issue it is highly recommended to open a support case. Otherwise, your particular issue might not be fixed in the next updates.
riahc3
Expert
Full Name: John

Post by riahc3 »

My issue was that it could not connect to the hypervisor....

I had to readd the hypervisor, same credentials already saved and then it connected again. I had to remove the VMs from the jobs and readd them.

Now backups are working again.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi John,

This is strange and unexpected. We always recommend discussing any technical issue with our technical support engineers directly to get a solution asap, as there might be no need to re-create the jobs.

Thanks
riahc3
Expert
Full Name: John

Post by riahc3 »

wishr,

On several occasions I have wrote on this forum (and I believe also contacted Veeam about it directed) that I CANNOT access my account portal. It tells me to fill out information and even if I fill it out, same message....So I cannot open a support case about this.

Here is the license I have:

wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi John,

Got it, now it's noted :) Please keep in mind this is not a support forum and our support engineers rarely look here so troubleshooting might be impossible without having a case id.

Do you have any unresolved issues at the moment? Have you managed to get the latest U4b patch installed?

Thanks