Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DaviesCC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Davies Chiam

How to move existing backup from StoreOnce with Catalyst to another StoreOnce with Catalyst

Post by DaviesCC »

Hi,

Our current setup has one backup job to backup 15 VMs from vSphere host to HPE StoreOnce with Catalyst. Then we just bought another StoreOnce unit with Catalyst, and we intend to split the backup, half of VMs remain backup to 1st StoreOnce, then the other half VMs backup to 2nd StoreOnce.

My question is, how do I move half of my existing VMs backup to 2nd unit and resume backup to it? I assume that I will need to create a second job, then remove them from my first job.

I have read that we can actually just copy the whole backup data to new backup target, but being my current backup target is in StoreOnce, I have no idea how to copy data from StoreOnce.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to move existing backup from StoreOnce with Catalyst to another StoreOnce with Catalyst

Post by foggy »

Hi Davies, since we're talking just about less than 15 VMs, the easiest way would be to create a second job with part of the VMs and remove them from the first one, as you've proposed. You can review this thread for some other options, but I don't think you'd want to complicate things in your particular scenario. Thanks!
DaviesCC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Davies Chiam

Re: How to move existing backup from StoreOnce with Catalyst to another StoreOnce with Catalyst

Post by DaviesCC »

Hi Foggy, if I remove VM from the first job, will the existing backup copy remain?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it will be subjected to deleted VMs retention.