Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Backup Free Edition

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

m.novelli wrote: Jan 28, 2019 4:44 pmBackup Jobs can be easily scheduled on Community Edition as in Standard Edition or they need some Powershell / Scripting ?
No scripting is required as again, Community Edition is a fully functional Standard Edition with jobs and scheduling.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Woha!

Last question: should I request a "Community License" or just install the product?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just install the product without providing a license. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition

Post by Gostev »

I've updated the topic name to match the actual new free offering name.

Veeam Backup Free Edition is no more, even just because Replication jobs are also included in CE ;)

By the way, I see those web site updates we mentioned on the first page coming in. For now just a rename, and a note about free Standard Edition functionality for up to 10 VMs at the bottom though, but they are reworking this page completely for proper CE launch down the road.
applefanboy
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by applefanboy »

I just upgraded to 9.5U4 from U3 and already i see that i am using 5 instances out of 10. When i click on report, i see the 5 vms yet 2 of them are not being backed up. I dont see them in the backup jobs. 3 of them are using veeamzip (via powershell script). Can someone let me know why these 5 instances are showing up?

It shows job name, storage snapshot job under license report. So when i go to storage snapshots, it lists my entire Nimble storage volumes, every single one. I drill down to the vm in question and i dont have the option to delete it. It looks like these snapshots are from Nimble, not Veeam so i am not sure how 2 of those vms are being backed up.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Could be upgrade related, try doing a clean install. If you cannot solve it, please create the dedicated topic with support case ID included. Thanks!
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

Thanks Gostev. I ended up restoring a previous snapshot (before veeam install) and just installed 9.5U4 from scratch. That seems to have fixed it.
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

One quick question, I am missing storage infrastructure that i had in 9.5u3. I only see Home, Inventory, Backup Infrastructure, Files, History, Tape Infrastructure. I've clicked that arrow to ensure its all shown. I want to add our Nimble to it.

Do you know how to get that back?
xeonium
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by xeonium »

foggy wrote: Jan 28, 2019 4:58 pm No scripting is required as again, Community Edition is a fully functional Standard Edition with jobs and scheduling.
You wrote ...CE is a fully functional edition with jobs and scheduling... .

That's right creating scheduled jobs is possible. But when i try to run one of these jobs. VBaR CE says:

Code: Select all

Building VMs list Error: License is not installed.
What do i wrong? Manually creating of VeeamZIP to local USB-drive is possible.

FYI: It runs on Hyper-V 2012 R2 with 2 VMs, repository on local USB-drive with [x] This repository is backed by rotated hard drives

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

applefanboy wrote: Jan 31, 2019 2:25 pm One quick question, I am missing storage infrastructure that i had in 9.5u3. I only see Home, Inventory, Backup Infrastructure, Files, History, Tape Infrastructure. I've clicked that arrow to ensure its all shown. I want to add our Nimble to it.
Backup from Storage Snapshots is an Enterprise Plus edition feature.
applefanboy
Influencer

Post by applefanboy »

They had it on the free edition for 9.5U3 - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... e_add.html

Did that change?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

@Foggy you are correct, but @applefanboy is talking about Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots, which is available in all editions.

@applefanboy please investigate this with support, could be a bug or upgrade-related. You should definitely still have access to this functionality, otherwise it would mean that we lost it in Standard Edition too! Which is even bigger problem :D

@xeonium please investigate with support, I did not see anyone reporting such errors with CE.

@All I am locking this thread down now, because my earlier request to create dedicated topics for technical issues (including support case ID, as per forum rules) has been largely ignored :D while all possible "conceptual" questions about CE design and limitations have already been answered anyway.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

applefanboy wrote: Jan 31, 2019 3:42 pm They had it on the free edition for 9.5U3 - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... e_add.html

Did that change?
Prior to opening a support case, make sure you have at least one vSphere/ESXi host added to Veeam B&R console (Storage Infrastructure node is not shown otherwise).