Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Veeam B&R migreation to new server (and storage)

Post by McClane »

Hi,

I am about to migrate out Veeam (Backup and Enterprise Manager) installation to a new backup server. I use the local database.
Since I am moving to a new storage with ReFS I can't fulfill point 3 in the KB article: Make sure all local drives that were being used as repositories on the old server are now attached with the same drive letters on the new server.
As I build a new backup chain I don't need the data from the old repositories. But I want to keep the backup jobs and, more importantly, the tape backup history with all it's information about tape retention.
Can I still use the restore functionality if I can't use the old repositories? Will I have to do some manual clean up (move jobs to new repository, clean backup chain...)?

Thanks,

Manuel
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam B&R migreation to new server (and storage)

Post by foggy »

Hi Manuel, you can migrate all Veeam B&R jobs and settings with the help of export/import configuration functionality, then re-point your repositories using procedure discussed in this thread, without moving actual files. You still can use your old backups in old repositories for restore after importing them into new Veeam B&R installation. Thanks!
McClane
Expert

Post by McClane »

Sounds great! Thank you. I will report the outcome of the migration, probably on Friday when the next full backup is due.
McClane
Expert

Post by McClane »

Hi,

just another question came up.
In KB Article https://www.veeam.com/kb1889 is only talked about the configuration database and the enterprise manager database, not going much into details.
Is the Enterprise Manager database also in the backup when it's installed on the same machine? Or do I have to use the SQL Management tools for the Enterprise Manager always?
Will it be restored when Backup and Enterprise Manager on the same machine again?
What about the Index Catalogue files? Do I just copy them over into the newly installed folder? Does it even make sense to copy them when I don't keep the backup chain?
What about the tape file index?
McClane
Expert

Post by McClane » 1 person likes this post

To answer my own questions.
No, configuration backup won't touch EM at all.
I did not bother with the old search data anyway, so I did not try to migrate the SQL Database and the guest index.

Would be great if the documentation would be more thorough about that.
And maybe a future version can be a little more assisting in migrating a Veeam environment.

At least the jobs are working. Speed is great with the new machine and storage and tape library with all it's tapes works also fine.
I will the how good ReFS will perform on the next full this weekend.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, configuration backup includes Veeam B&R database only. New index will be built along with new backups.
McClane
Expert

Post by McClane »

Another migration error that some may fall into:
If you swap out your backend storage to some new and format them with ReFS to get some use out of the FastCopy feature, and the new storage has the same drive letters as the old ones, Veeam keeps the settings for the repositories.
Result is: no ReFS features are being used. I had to create new repositories on these drives and make a new time consuming full backup.

Maybe the migration wizard should give a hint that there repository folders are gone and if you want to create something new.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not sure I understand, since you were going to start with empty repositories. Anyway, active full is always required for ReFS capabilities to start taking effect.