Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
i2M
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam, SimpliVity and the Linux FLR Appliance

Post by i2M »

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the Veeam Linux FLR Appliance to function in a SimpliVity environment? When we attempt to use it, fails to mount vPower NFS datastore with the error "The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it."

Before I go messing around with permissions, I'm looking to see if this is something anyone has been able to get working before? I know SimpliVity is sensitive about how it allows access to it's storage layer.

I have an open support case about it 03407935 but I'm looking to see if this is anything anyone else has run into before.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam, SimpliVity and the Linux FLR Appliance

Post by HannesK »

Hello Tim,
it must be possible as the Linux FLR appliance is just a VM that boots up "on request" with Instant VM recovery. So if the permissions for Instant VM recovery are not there (firewalls maybe), then it will fail.

Best regards,
Hannes
JasonL
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Leiva

Post by JasonL »

Hello Tim,

When doing interop testing with SimpliVity we did test Instant VM Recovery where we also mount the vPower NFS datastore, but not Linux FLR specifically. Looking at your support case I would lean toward this being a permissions issue. Have you tried doing a standard Instant VM Recovery?

Jason
i2M
Novice

Post by i2M »

Thanks guys! Instant Recovery is not something we use (we use the built-in SimpliVity backups instead for this), so it's entirely likely the permissions for this are not set correctly. I'll have a look at the documentation and set the up and try again.
i2M
Novice

Post by i2M »

Hi guys,

So I've tried a bunch of stuff and still cannot get this working. I've run through all the steps here:

https://www.veeam.com/kb1055

The test from vPower NFS server to VMkernel port succeeds
The test from VMkernel port to vPower NFS server succeeds
Netstat shows that the ports are listening and not locked.

Trying to manually mount the NFS store fails with the same error: "The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it."

Instant recovery also fails with the same error.

Any ideas on where I go from here?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it still could be vsphere permissions, DNS or firewall settings. Support can assist with troubleshooting.

Best regards,
Hannes
i2M
Novice

Post by i2M »

Ok thanks I'll follow up with support