Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
gparker
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: George Parker

Quick Migration?

Post by gparker »

Hi, Is Quick Migration only available for VMware VMs, not Hyper-V VMs? In the Veeam B&R users guide for VMware, there's a chapter on Quick Migration but not in the Veeam B&R users guide for Hyper-V.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Quick Migration?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi George,

Yes, that is correct. Quick migration is only VMware in our solution. If you need to do something similar with Hyper-V, you can use Hyper-V native migration to do that work

Brgds,
Mike
gparker
Enthusiast

Post by gparker »

Thanks for confirming Mike. I've got Hyper-V hosts in one city and building new Hyper-V hosts in another city that we want to migrate the VMs to. I'm not sure if Hyper-V native migration will work in my scenario. I was hoping I could add both sets of hosts to Veeam and do quick migration. I found these posts that I think I'll follow, albeit I'll face some downtime as I migrate each VM.
https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-perform- ... chine.html and microsoft-hyper-v-f25/migrate-to-a-new- ... 41725.html
gparker
Enthusiast

Post by gparker »

... In the first link, I'll follow the "Using Veeam Replication" steps.

Regards,
George.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey George,

Using our replication and then finally do a permanent failover is certainly a possibility. But you can also use storage migration that should be able to handle the same thing. (And with storage migratoin, there is no downtime).

For the replication downtime. Yes, there will be some downtime as you need to move the latest bits, get the production VM to shutdown, and then start it on the other side. It won't take that much time, but there is downtime
But if you are going to do a project like this, I will always advise you to create a maintenance window because unexpected things can always happen...
gparker
Enthusiast

Post by gparker »

Ah, thanks Mike. With Hyper-V's storage migration, can the source and target Hyper-V hosts reside in different clusters....And will storage migration work if the source and target hosts are stand-along hosts? If so, then I'll certainly give that a shot. It's curious that storage migration isn't mentioned in either of those links?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yep, that is something where storage migration has been created for. The reason why it isn't mentioned in the links is because it is a Hyper-V technology, not a Veeam technology ;-)

Actually, you might want to google or bing for Shared Nothing Live Migration instead of storage migration...