Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kturner
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Turner

Backing up an old FoxPro Database

Post by kturner »

Hello,

I am trying to backup an application called Visual Estitrack which uses a FoxPro database.
Has anyone else attempted to backup a FoxPro database? Has anyone experienced any issues, or have any tips for doing so?

I believe there are issues that could occurring when someone is in the database at the time of the back up.
One idea I have been messing with is trying to boot anyone accessing the database before backing the database up.

Thank you for any help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backing up an old FoxPro Database

Post by veremin »

Are there any FoxPro scripts or commands using which you can freeze database activity temporarily? If so, just schedule those as pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts in the backup job settings and you're good to go.

Having those scripts specified will allow you to have application-consistent backup of FoxPro db and also protect yourself against any unexpected consequences.

Thanks!
kturner
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Turner

Post by kturner »

I haven't been able to find anything searching for anyone else who have done FoxPro backups in Veeam.
I don't think we are the first ones to back up a FoxPro database with Veeam, so I was hoping to see what others are doing to back it up.

I'm sure I could do something like net session /delete command in a script to end all connections to that machine, but I'm not sure how to prevent new connections from starting while the backups are running.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I haven't seen anything about FoxPro either, but believe that there must a be way to programmatically stop the db or freeze it, and this command should be set as a pre-freeze activity.

Also, it might be worth raising the question regarding the given commands on FoxPro community.

Thanks!