Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
robertb24
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robert Bate

License question

Post by robertb24 »

I have been using the Veeam agent for Windows (Free) on quite a few of my clients server. Much better than Windows backup. I have even upgraded a few to the paid for Server version.

I am now been told that I can only buy these now in blocks of 10, is that correct?

Most clients only have 1 server, so if this is the case makes it uneconomical to purchase 10 versions.

Anyone know if this is correct?

thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: License question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Robert,
Yes, instance-based licenses are sold in bundles, however, for such cases as yours there is a new community edition which allows to protect up to 10 agents for free with all paid features.
robertb24
Influencer

Post by robertb24 »

ok, so how do I now protect clients with single servers? I am just using the agent for bare metal backups of itself to NAS box or USB. Works great but need the server agent version so I can do correct CBT of SQL etc
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Robert,

You can install VBR Community Edition as was said by Nikita, then deploy an Agent to the physical server through the backup server, it allows you to deploy up to 3 Agents Server Edition. Thanks!
robertb24
Influencer

Post by robertb24 »

So, from having a simple agent install (which I was prepared to pay for) I now have to install a different product and then deploy an agent to itself to backup?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

You still can purchase a bundle of 10 instances and install it in the standalone Agent, which allows you to switch in the Server Mode. Thanks!
robertb24
Influencer

Post by robertb24 »

As you say, I can buy a bundle of 10, which is 10x what I was paying. The cost of £1044 per year and I only have one server. It used to be just over £100 which was fine.
Sadly, if this is the case then I will have to look at another vendor as you have just priced me out.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

For small environments as you've described you can obtain Backup Essentials which will be cheaper than 1044 per year.
You can use the pricing calculator here, to estimate the cost. Thanks!
robertb24
Influencer

Post by robertb24 »

It it still 3x more expensive
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

But still you can have it and even more totally free with the VBR CE. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Ken,

You can deploy 3 server mode Agents within Veeam B&R Community Edition, since it has 10 instances (standard edition) and each Server Agent consume 3 instances.
Have you tried to create Backup job for the deployed Agent in server mode? Thanks!
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

What I actually think is "unfair" is that with the free community edition we get 10 instances but with the paid Backup Essentials Standard (2 sockets) we get only 2 instances so I don't even get a single Veeam Agent Server license because it requires 3 instances so I would need to buy 10 instances in addition. What I actually need is to run multiple backup jobs on a single workstation but unfortunately to do that I need a Veeam Agent Server license because Workstation can only do multiple backup jobs to Cloud Connect and not to a local target...
robertb24
Influencer

Post by robertb24 » 1 person likes this post

If anyone is interested this is how I have managed to license my agents without paying 10x the price.
I have signed up with a Veeam Cloud Connect partner and as part of the contract they can supply agent licenses on a monthly cost bases.
This works well and now allows cloud backup as well as multi local backups (which is what I was trying to do in the first place)
My 321 plan is now working.
As I am a Veeam partner and doing this for clients you will need to pass the Veeam VMSP and VMTSP which I already had done.