Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Veeam Explorer SQL

Post by stewsie »

Hi

I am starting to look at using AAIP backups for two new SQL servers configured with Availability Groups. I have the backup configured along with transaction log backups and all appears to be working. I am now looking to ask the DBA team to check restore options as part of the test process. In the Enterprise Manager I have provided access but the restore options are quite basic and limited especially regarding specific restore points.

I have given one user access to Veeam using the client and using Veeam Explorer for SQL there are more options available for restore or downloading the backup files. Is there a way using the Veeam client to limit the backups the user has access to as at the moment the user is a restore operator and can see all backups which is not what is required.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the restore of SQL using either the client or Enterprise Manager?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Explorer SQL

Post by foggy »

Hi Paul, currently limiting restore scope is possible in Enterprise Manager only. What do you mean by limited restore options? You can restore to any available restore point/point-in-time (similar to Veeam B&R console), though only entire database restore is available.
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

In Veeam Explorer I can see the specific transactions listed and can go back to one of those points. In Enterprise Manager I just have the slider to choose a point
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

I have made some progress but have had to open a support call with Veeam that will be investigated by Veeam tomorrow. I have started a restore in Enterprise Manager but the restore fails with an error stating

"Database restore failed. Database belongs to AlwaysOn Availability Group. Please specify another database name to restore.

I can restore using Veeam Explorer and it appears to work however at the end of that restore I also receive an error message.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks strange since there's no such a limitation. What version are you using?
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

9.5 U3

Haven't had an opportunity to upgrade yet.
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

Had a remote session with support this morning and have been told that this restore isn't supported when restoring to another location in an Availability Group using Enterprise Manager. We are restoring to the same node however as non-standard SQL port is being used we have to specify to restore to another server.

Do you know if this feature works in 9.5 U4a and if not is this something that is on the road map?

One other thing that isn't supported in 9.5 U3 is to restore into an availability group with automatic seeding. We stopped the seeding on the second node and the restore using the client worked. The engineer was sure this was resolved in 9.5 U4a. Does anyone know if that is correct as he wasn't 100% sure?

Thanks
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie » 1 person likes this post

9.5 U4a did indeed fix this issue and we have been able to restore using Enterprise Manager