Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

running different Licenses when using Enterprise Manager

Post by DaStivi »

Hi is it possible to run with different Licenses when using Enterprise manger to "view/manage" multiple VBR Installations?
i can't add more then one License in Enterprise Manager (i also cant delete the one installed, i can only override)…
when installing directly in VBR Installation (instead) of EM, a few minutes later the License get's overwritten from EM...

best regards
Stephan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: running different Licenses when using Enterprise Manager

Post by veremin »

Nope, EM can distribute only one license to the backup servers it controls. Thanks!
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

i can't tell it for sure, but pre U4 update. i could overwrite the License directly from Veeam VbR Console and the License didn't got overwritten from EM again? could that was the Case?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There's indeed a registry key on EM server that prevents EM from pushing the license to backup servers it manages - but that doesn't sound like something you're after? Thanks!
baywatch
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Graham Hassall

Post by baywatch »

I run both perpetual (per CPU) licenses and subscription licenses in my environment. The perpetual licenses are used for a VMware environment and the subscription licenses are currently used for physical windows servers. I merge the two license types into a single license file that is installed on the Enterprise Manager.

I need to add a new completely separate VMware environment to my Veeam infrastructure, which only has a small number of VMs. I would like to back these VMs up using the new instance licenses (at the hypervisor level i.e. no agent install), as buying perpetual per CPU licenses for this small number of VMs is extremely expensive. However because I have existing perpetual licenses and instance licenses merged into a single license file on the Enterprise Manager, I can't do that. If I try to back up a VM on the new VMware environment at hypervisor level, Enterprise Manager will try and consume a perpetual socket license and not an instance license.

This is a scenario where I could potentially have no licenses installed on EM, perpetual licenses installed on Backup server 1, (backing up the original VMware environment) and the instance licenses installed on Backup server 2 (backing up everything else, including the VMs on the new VMware environment)
Is this possible, or do I need to build two entirely separate Veeam environments with two enterprise managers, two management consoles etc, etc?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If those are two different sites, then, yes, you can use the described approach: two independent backup server, not interconnected with each other anyhow (neither directly, nor trough EM), two ESXi hosts backed up, two different licenses installed. Thanks!
baywatch
Novice
Full Name: Graham Hassall

Post by baywatch »

So I have to have two completely separate environments then. that's disappointing. I was hoping that I could still run a single EM to manage the two backup servers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Single deployment requires a single license.
andrejslon
Novice
Full Name: Andrey

Post by andrejslon »

Hello,
Lets imagine we have following case:
• Enterprise with multiple locations in different countries
• In some locations there are VMware VMs that should be licensed using Perpetual licensing (per socket)
• In other locations there are VMware VMs that should be licensed using Subscription licensing (per VM)

Tell me please, is it possible to manage licensing and backup/restore jobs in all locations using single Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager instance?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, that's not possible. EM can manage a single license for all backup servers added to the UI.