Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Threonine
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke D.

vCenter migration from Windows to Virtual Appliance

Post by Threonine » 2 people like this post

Just a note in case others run into this... I just completed a vCenter migration from 6.5 on Windows to the Virtual Appliance (6.7.0U2). It went well but I ran into one hiccup. The vCenter object in Veeam was configured as an IP address and configured with local credentials on the previous system. I went to reconfigure that object and added a new vCenter SSO credential and clicked Apply. Veeam popped the error:
--------------------
Failed to get certificate from: https://10.x.x.x:443
--------------------
(Where 10.x.x.x was the actual IP address.)
Eventually I tried clicking "Finish" instead of "Apply" in the "Edit VMware Server - Credentials" dialog, and that did not pop the error. Then I was able to right-click the vCenter object and click Rescan. Now everything appears to be working.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: vCenter migration from Windows to Virtual Appliance

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
seems to me exactly the behavior that must happen if a certificate changes. Veeam validates the certificates and with rescan you can accept the new one.

Best regards,
Hannes
Threonine
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke D.

Post by Threonine »

That is what I expected but it did not prompt to accept the certificate. It's working fine with the new server.
batsran
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Carl Liddle

[MERGED] Veeam 9.5 4b and vmWare 6.7 U4

Post by batsran »

Have been happily using Veeam ce for sometime to backup our existing vmWare 6.5 essentials plus cluster and have recently configured a new test standalone vmWare 6.7 U4. The vmWare server comes with a full trial licence for 60 days.

When attempting to add this to our existing B & R server after entering the IP and correct details an error "Failed to get certificate from: <ip address here>". The B&R server is on the same subnet. Any ideas?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam 9.5 4b and vmWare 6.7 U4

Post by wishr »

Hi Carl,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums.

6.7 U4 does not exist. Please confirm what version is it. Probably it's U3.

As mentioned in Forum Rules, any technical issues should be discussed with our support team directly because troubleshooting can not be done through the forums. Note that for CE users technical support is offered on a "best-effort" basis, based on the staff availability. We want to keep the forum healthy, clear and helpful - this is one of the reasons why you should include a support case ID when posting about any technical difficulty, otherwise, the forum post will be eventually removed by moderators.

I'm merging your questions with an existing topic - please take a look.

Thanks
batsran
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Carl Liddle

Post by batsran »

Whoops - thanks wishr, Yes I meant 6.7 U3.

I didn't think that support tickets could be logged for community edition, only if it was part of a trial licence period. I revisited and scrolled down, yet another oversight. Third one probably obligates me into a round of free drinks.

I will log a ticket - sadly this merged thread doesn't help me since there seems to be no way to currently add the new standalone vSphere server to the list, so there is nothing to "rescan".
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Thank you for the response.

Please also make sure there are no alarms about certificates in vCenter itself - maybe something will point you the right direction. There are should not be any issues when adding vCenters with trial licenses.