Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Restore VM From Capacity Tier - Wasabi

Post by NashBrydges »

Hi All,

I'm currently testing using Wasabi as a SOBR and one scenario I need to test is how to restore VMs in the event my entire performance tier backups are gone. Here is my setup...

- Hyper-V environment
- Veeam B&R v9.5 Update 4 running as a VM
- Performance tier backup repository is created on a separate networked server
- Scale-out repository setup with Wasabi

I can run backups and have them sent to Wasabi no problem. That works beautifully. The problem is that my test scenario where I delete all backups from the performance tier backup repository (to simulate a total loss of local backup data), I am not able to "copy to performance tier". Even if I rescan the SOBR, I still get an error stating "Preparing to download backup files from object storage Error: File does not exist.". Of course the file does not exist, I'm simulating total loss of backup data.

There must be a way to recover the backups stored on Wasabi otherwise the solution is useless for my stated purposes. I have multiple backups/copies both local and offsite but this scenario needs to be tested in the event of total loss of data at all locations (sure, highly improbable but not impossible).

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm assuming I'm missing some crucial step.

In this test scenario, I've not deleted any repositories or backup jobs. I've simply deleted all of the backup data from the performance tier.

Appreciate your help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore VM From Capacity Tier - Wasabi

Post by Gostev »

Hello, please rescan SOBR and once that process completes (may take a while as it will be downloading metadata and recreating stubs of all missing backup files), then try again. If you're still getting the error, please open a support case. In general, there are no known issues with your scenario. Thanks!
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by NashBrydges »

Hi Gostev. I did that and still getting the same error so I'll open a support ticket.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently there is a bug that prevents SOBR rescan from identifying missing backups. So today to make everything work you will need to manually remove missing backups from configuration and then rescan SOBR.

After that you should be able to restore data.

Thanks!