Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JTT
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JTT

After 9.5 U4a - Tape fatal error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Post by JTT »

I have a customer deployment, that got 9.5 U4a applyd, but afer that, tape backup is broken.
Veeam Support - Case # 03501852

Has anybody previous experience or recomendations? A rollbackup to older Veeam version is not an option, because the Vmware cluster needs to be updated.

Full backup: Tape fatal error.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Tape write error
Exception from server: Shared memory connection was closed.

Tape fatal error.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: After 9.5 U4a - Tape fatal error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
the error you've faced is pretty generic and it's hard to recognize the real cause without logs review.
Please keep working with the support team and provide them with the logs. Thanks!
ITManager
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: itmanager

Re: After 9.5 U4a - Tape fatal error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Post by ITManager »

Hello any updates on this we have the same problem never had this before the update.

Paul V.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Paul,
Support helped to fix the OP's issue. Please contact the support team. You can refer to the support case number mentioned above.
Thanks!
rstark
Novice
Full Name: Robert Stark

Post by rstark »

I'm running the Community edition and getting this error with a Quantum Superloader 3 tape library and getting the same message on at file backup to tape. Can you share the details of how support helped with this issue?

Code: Select all

5/25/2019 10:32:25 AM :: Full backup: Tape fatal error.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Tape write error
Exception from server: Shared memory connection was closed.
Tape fatal error.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Robert,

Although you can wait for OP to post the resolution that they got from the support team, it is advisable to open a case of your own as your setups are probably different and the root cause might be different as well.

Thanks!
rstark
Novice

Post by rstark »

Thanks P.Tide, but as I'm running the Community Edition, I'm not entitled to support.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

In this case you are still eligible for support on a best-effort basis.

Thanks!
rstark
Novice

Post by rstark »

I didn't realize. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll get the case submitted.
sk@aeroclub.ru
Lurker

Post by sk@aeroclub.ru »

Hello.

Did you solve the problem? Faced exactly the same situation.

Thx.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello SK,

The original case has been addressed by the instructions from this KB article. You can try the suggested solution but if that's not working please raise a support case and share the case ID with us. Cheers!