Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
keithh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Howlette

Changed block tracking with NFS Datastores

Post by keithh »

Hi
I've been setting up replication over two sites and the first pass was via a USB drive to the remote site. I expected the replication to be fairly small in size but the replication was taking several days over the network. Some of the servers data shouldn't have changed much but there was still a lot being transmitted from the source site. I was wondering if NFS datastores don't support "changed block tracking" as they aren't block devices. I did log a support request but I've not had a reply yet.

Does anyone have any experiences of using replication with NFS datastores and if it works OK.

Thanks

Keith
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Changed block tracking with NFS Datastores

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Keith,

ESX Changed Block Tracking feature is fully supported for VMs residing on NFS datastores.

If you're using ESXi host as destination target, please make sure that you've applied all recommendations mentioned in this topic: replication and ESXi

Thank you.
keithh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Howlette

Post by keithh »

Thanks for the reply.

The hosts are all ESX. Is there any checklist for replication to make sure I've got everything as it should be. I have trawled the help pages.

Keith
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

One thing you should remember to do is provide service console connection settings for each ESX server (by right-clicking them in the Server tree in Veeam console). Other than that, no special settings are required. Thanks.