Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joespirit88
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Spirit

Changing backup job the file restore option shows in enterprise manager

Post by joespirit88 »

Hi,

Our File server is backed up in several jobs but only one has guest indexing enabled.

Our service desk uses the enterprise manager to perform restores of files but have run into an issue where EM seems to randomly select which job it will use to do the restore from.
This is causing problems as the one we have indexing enabled for is not the first choice and EM is missing usuable restore points as that job is run more often.

How can we ensure that the primary backup with guest indexing enabled is always used in EM for file restores? I can't seem to find any options for this

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Changing backup job the file restore option shows in enterprise manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I hope I did the same you did: I clicked on "files" and selected a VM. Then enterprise manager shows me the latest restore point. If the latest restore point is indexed, then it will show the indexed view. If the latest restore point is without index, then it shows the "mount" button.

If I manually select an indexed restore point, then I get the indexed view. Not really random in my tests.
How can we ensure that the primary backup with guest indexing enabled is always used in EM for file restores?
By indexing both jobs (you can also index only one VM in a job) or avoiding to backup twice.

Best regards,
Hannes
joespirit88
Enthusiast

Post by joespirit88 »

Hi Hannes

Thanks for the response, the problem we have is that our second backup is for the DR side where a replica of the server is powered off leaving us unable to index the guest file system.

If i change to a time where the backup has indexed it doesn't seem to show me the file structure without prompting me to mount it first so it is taking the default action of the latest restore point regardless of what safeset i choose in the selection.

Any suggestions?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ah yes, backup from replica has several limitations as the machine if powered off... maybe replication from backup in combination with a backup copy job can help you to avoid those limitations.
If i change to a time where the backup has indexed it doesn't seem to show me the file structure without prompting me to mount
as it works for me, I can only guess for a browser issue. I can only suggest to ask support for help (please post the case number for reference)

Restore point without index

Restore point with index

Best regards,
Hannes
joespirit88
Enthusiast

Post by joespirit88 »

Thanks Hannes

Looks like it's just me then! :lol:

I have raised a case as suggested Case #03614645
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Joe,

Additionally you can click info icon next to the restore point to see the backup job name.

joespirit88
Enthusiast

Post by joespirit88 »

After initial contact with support I have noticed that the catalog syncing wasn't working.

Support is looking at the logs further