Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Retrying backup after accidental reboot

Post by pshute »

One of our VMs failed in the main backup due to VSS problems, and had almost completed the later retry backup - it had completed 3 of its 4 disks. Then someone accidentally rebooted the server, resulting in "Error: Job aborted due to server termination".

After the reboot, I manually retried the job, and it started backing up that server again from scratch.

1. Will this have left some orphaned temporary files anywhere that I need to clean up?
2. Would it be theoretically possible for the software to continue on from where it left off? I.e. not have to backup the 3 disks already done?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Retrying backup after accidental reboot

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
with rebooting the server, you mean rebooting the VM? I do not expect any issues for VM reboot for a VM backup as we do backups from VMware snapshots. Or are you talking about the Veeam Agent for Windows (I just need to move your post to the correct forum then)?

1. in general: "no". But you can check in VCenter whether there is snapshot existing from Veeam.
2. no, not possible. We do snapshot based backup. A snapshot must be consistent (backup all or nothing)

Best regards,
Hannes
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Post by pshute »

Sorry, I meant we rebooted the server running VBR, not the VM being backed up.

In the vSphere client, I just see the new Veeam snapshot for that server (backup is still running at this time), and I see a "remove snapshot" task in the log from just before the new one was created, so Veeam knew to delete that old snapshot when it retried the backup. So theoretically, it could have left it there and continued backing up that same snapshot?

Could there be a file in the repository left over from the aborted backup? Or does it copy directly from the snapshot to the latest backup file? Could that file contain some orphaned data? Ie be bigger than normal? It looks ok so far.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

thanks for clarification.

It will always backup from the current state. We don't backup "from the past" :-)
Could there be a file in the repository left over from the aborted backup? Or does it copy directly from the snapshot to the latest backup file? Could that file contain some orphaned data? Ie be bigger than normal?
What is the background / goal of the question? In general, VBR cleans up everything. The software is designed to be able to deal with power outage / reboot etc.