Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
alexs
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Samad

Help with licensing

Post by alexs »

Hi

I'm getting a bit of a run around on this.

so lets say I have a user (john) with a O365 mailbox - he has been with us for 2 years. I have O365 backups for the last 2 years - say daily.
Now John leaves I change his mailbox to shared mailbox.

So O365 sees the change in licensing I no longer have to pay for the shared mailbox (as long as it stays under 50G).
But in Veeam O365 backup it still needs a license

Support tell me I have 2 options
* ) delete it out of the backup store
*) copy it from 1 backup store to another one where I can remove it from the system

This seems like a lot of overheard ... a lot. Why can't it just use the number of active users in the tenancy with mailboxes.

So is this right
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Help with licensing

Post by nielsengelen »

I would go for option 2 and move the data to another store so you preserve the data. Once done, you can reclaim the license via Remove-VBOLicensedUser.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

... or you could wait for the next 31 days when a personal mailbox is not backed up, and after that, a license will be revoked automatically.
alexs
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Samad

Post by alexs »

So what does
"
... or you could wait for the next 31 days when a personal mailbox is not backed up, and after that, a license will be revoked automatically.
"
actually mean, for John, once his mailbox turns into shared and after 31 days it will register with veeam as shared and therefor not needing a license.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

After 31 days we will revoke any license from mailboxes which have been converted into shared ones or got removed to free up the license.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
jim.lowry
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Jim Lowry

Post by jim.lowry »

If you wait 31 days, will the user's data be deleted as well? I know it is deleted if you use the powershell commandlets prior to the 31 day threshold, but it's not clear if the data will be deleted if you just wait 31 days.

Also - if you have legal restrictions to hold onto the data for say 7 years (like HIPAA data), but a user leaves the company - how do you keep that data if the user account is removed?
Jim Lowry
Sr. Systems Engineer
VCSP North America West
VMCE, VMCA, VCP-DC
jim.lowry
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Jim Lowry

Post by jim.lowry » 1 person likes this post

Found the answer from Mike Resseler in another post. See the details mentioned here: veeam-backup-for-microsoft-office-365-f ... 58396.html

---------------------------------------
I think there is some misunderstanding here so let me explain:

1. License:
The license will be revoked after 31 days so you can reuse it. The data itself will not be deleted at all and will remain there for the time of the retention. So yes, if the user leaves and he is not protected anymore for 31 days, the data is still there and the license is released.

2. Remove-VBOEntityData: We built this specifically for testing purposes and mistakes by accident. We heard with the previous versions that if you make mistakes during setup, re-configuration or something like that, it was not pleasant to wait for 31 days until the license has been released, even if you only had it in a job for 1 time or so. Therefore we created the possibility to revoke the license after the data of the mistake is deleted. (Obviously we ask for the deletion of that data otherwise it would be too easy to cheat with licenses :-))

Makes sense?
Jim Lowry
Sr. Systems Engineer
VCSP North America West
VMCE, VMCA, VCP-DC