Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jimscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Scott

Restore from encrypted tapes

Post by jimscott »

hello all,
I am having the following issue with a restore.

I have a Veeam backup job that has backed up several VMware VMs as normal with Veeam B&R.
This backup job plus daily incremental are copied to tape. The tape media pool is encrypted using Veeam and an encrypted media pool.

I have taken the tapes to another site and I am trying to restore with different hardware (B&R server + different tape drive). However when I try and restore I can see the tapes, I have entered the password after the tapes have been catalogued but I am getting an error when I try and restore the tapes back stating the Tape drive does not support hardware encryption.

Any ideas?
Jim
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Restore from encrypted tapes

Post by csydas »

Hi Jim,

Just to be sure, both sites have hw encryption available, correct? Hardware encryption is how they get ya :) It's an extra cost, but it's convenient. You need to make sure that your DR site tape has the hw encryption license installed also.
jimscott
Enthusiast

Post by jimscott »

Hi, we have never installed a license in the past for HW encryption. The only passwords we use are inside the media pool in Veeam - Tape Infrastructure.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, use encryption option is enabled in the media pool settings, right? If so, check whether both source and target libraries support hardware encryption and whether they both have it enabled.

It seems that tapes have been encrypted by source library and cannot be read by target one due it not supporting encryption or not having it enabled.

Thanks!
jimscott
Enthusiast

Post by jimscott »

Is it enabled in the media pool. Use encryption is ticked and a password is set in Veeam. The restore process works fine until I updated the restore server to 9.5-4a. I reinstalled server 2012 R2 and Veeam 9.5 Update3 and tried some encrypted tapes from before the upgrade then they restored ok after entering the encryption password for the media pool.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Again, you should check whether source and target libraries support hardware encryption.

If hardware encryption is enabled for the tape media, Veeam Backup & Replication automatically disables its software encryption mechanism for such tape libraries. The Veeam encryption mechanism can only be used if hardware encryption is disabled at the tape device level or not supported.

It seems that tapes have been encrypted by source library via hardware encryption and cannot be read by target one due it not supporting encryption or not having it enabled.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!